Defective clutch equals noisy ZF5

markfuga

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of complaints about the single mass flywheels causing the ZF5 to be noisy rattle boxes but the issue could also be a defective clutch.

I put a new Valiar clutch in my truck (NMU70263-01) and resurfaced the Luk flywheel that I already had. I immediately noticed a low growl/rattle when the clutch is engeaged in nuetral. I expected this becasue of all the online reading I had done. Within 50 miles of driving the noise about doubled and was rather unbearable to listen to. I also noticed a slight "stutter" when engaging the clutch in 1st from a stop and a small "stutter" when shifting.

I pulled the clutch out for inspection and found its only grabbing on one side (this explains the stutter). I know its only grabbing on one side becasue the hot spots on the flyweel match the hot spots on the pressure plate. I wasn't optimistic that it could also be the source of the noise.

I bought a new Luk 07-171 clutch and now the transmission is SILENT! Absolutely no noise with the clutch depressed or engaged. The stutter is gone and the truck is a joy to drive again.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 41

mandkole

Reaction score
the luk will be just fine.. I liked mine and it holds the little extra power just fine. I'd just keep the power away from it until it seats in real good.

Latest posts

Members online