delayed engagement forward/reverse

stroke6.0

Reaction score
So I sold my 04 f350 last year, and recently worked it back out into a trade. When I sold it, it was in the beginning stages of having a delated engagement into reverse and reverse only. I change the low/reverse solenoid, and reset the trans and it was good. I know the person pretty well thats had the truck. I can pretty honestly say he didn't beat the hell out of it. The trans has a 3-5 second delayed engagement when you first come out of park. It doesn't matter if you go into reverse or drive. Once you get into gear, the transmission shifts perfect. honestly couldn't ask for a better shifting trans. Iv check the fluid level and its spot on, and is just as new looking as when I sold the truck. If you let it get into reverse or drive, then shift right to the other, it engages quick like normal. I did some reading on people having similar issues, but never a posted fix. I am thinking it is a EPC solenoid from what iv gathered. I haven't put a gauge on it yet, just looking for others that may have had symptoms.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Epc solenoid was a fix for some, then there was a pcm reflash, and worst case the low reverse snap ring pops out allowing the planetary to walk forward.

stroke6.0

Reaction score
I read about the snap ring causing random neutral issues and reverse issues. Mine also has drive engagement issues. May try an EPC solenoid first. If i use the IDS to reflash my pcm, will that mess any of my tunes up or no? Or just put it to stock then reload the tune?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I read about the snap ring causing random neutral issues and reverse issues. Mine also has drive engagement issues. May try an EPC solenoid first. If i use the IDS to reflash my pcm, will that mess any of my tunes up or no? Or just put it to stock then reload the tune?

When you reflash it changes your strategy. It wont affect box tunning but it will cause you to need tunes for the new strategy.

I would try changing the epc, then clear adaptive learning. You can do it with a diagnostic scanner, or unhook the batteries for a minimum of 1 hour.

stroke6.0

Reaction score
Instead of worrying about it, I purchased a good used trans from an 06. Im going to swap it in and keep me going, then i will tear this one down and let you guys know if i find anything wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.