Desperate help???

dommel01

Reaction score
Ok my brothers 6.4, he originally had a shop do the head gaskets, they didn't take the heads off replaced the bolts one at a time, obviously it wasn't right, the oil sludged up, we pulled the motor, got used o ringed heads from mpd, delipped the pistons, put it together and it still does the same thing, so pulled the motor, got a new short block from renegade diesel, Re used the same heads put the truck together and the oil is still sludging, what the hell is going on??<br/>

78f100

Reaction score
Did you reuse the front cover? Look behind the water pump for cavitation.
also did you have the heads machined?

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'd say look for all of the places your coolant could possibly mix with oil. Front cover. Assuming get is deleted? Oil cooler. And the possibility of a cracked block. If these head stud jobs are being done, be absolutely sure you are only torquing the heads to the recommends 275 by Arps instructions and make sure the torque wrench being used is of adequate size and is calibrated appropriately. At least one member on here has admitted to cracking several of his blocks due to his torque wrench over tightening.

dommel01

Reaction score
We put a new front cover and oil cooler on the truck, the heads were sposedly pressure tested decked and o ringed from mpd, and I used the same torque wrench I used doing other headgaskets and had no problems with them, this truck is cursed

CAT35niner

Reaction score
If you put a new short block new front cover and new oil cooler on it. I would look at the heads. One could be cracked. The front cover should be good depending on when you put it on. Assuming recent. It shouldn't cavitate that quick. Unless you knicked a oring or seal somewhere.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I've never heard of coolant in the oil from a typical cracked head, where they are cracked around the valve seats. I'd put my money on a cracked block. Time to pull the studs out and take a look. Then I'd have your torque wrench calibrated. Just to clarify, you're using one of these big ones right? Not one that just maxes out around 275 and a breaker bar... ( No disrespect)

Attachments

• 1395431609.jpg
    1395431609.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 67

dommel01

Reaction score
If you put a new short block new front cover and new oil cooler on it. I would look at the heads. One could be cracked. The front cover should be good depending on when you put it on. Assuming recent. It shouldn't cavitate that quick. Unless you knicked a oring or seal somewhere.
Well my brother put the front cover on, I'll have to check it out and pull it back off I guess, I'm just so frustrated with the thing at this point

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Well my brother put the front cover on, I'll have to check it out and pull it back off I guess, I'm just so frustrated with the thing at this point

Patience lol. You will find where it's mixing. Just sucks to retrace your steps to find it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
leave coolant in it and pull the valve covers, pressure the cooling system and check the second stud back, upper stud, you will see coolant run out down the head.

Latest posts

Members online