Detuning large injector nozzles - How to pick injector size for upgrades!

V-Ref

Reaction score
Those are Unlimited 400/200s btw.

There's a certain vendor on here that has attempted to undermine the credibility of the Lifetime Warranty that Unlimited backs their injectors with, so be sure you collect real world track facts outside some of the rhetoric posted on the forums.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Those are Unlimited 400/200s btw.

There's a certain vendor on here that has attempted to undermine the credibility of the Lifetime Warranty that Unlimited backs their injectors with, so be sure you collect real world track facts outside some of the rhetoric posted on the forums.

Ive never used Nates injectors but i know two people personally who have and they both have excellent running trucks. They both used gh but recently Ari switched to php and a hydra and he says he is staying with php. Im not sure why though. I seriously dont know what his pecs were with gh. Gh is on my to do list. Just to try it if nothing else.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I think we're lucky as a community that the 7.3 platform has more choices now then it ever has in regard to tuning, injs, turbos, etc. "Medium Oil" seems to be the one product that options have gone backwards in regards to options. But let's not derail this thread with the four letter word HPOP

emev0l

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head right there.

I can not tell you how many times people get tired of having issues with "x" size injectors and have us send them out set with the same capacity and the same nozzle size and then go round and round with their tuner. i preached and I preached a lot of times the similarities end with the numbers on the box. But some people just won't have that. I can't come on here and tell you the reason your injectors run like crap is because everyone of your oil sides is full of shims. When I do I get jumped by the "swingers" and I'm the bad guy because I took more time and more effort to offer something better. Seems worth it right?

Wanna be a lot more specific about that?

What brand injectors are you hearing the most complaints about?

What are you doing differently in place of their oil side shims?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head right there.

I can not tell you how many times people get tired of having issues with "x" size injectors and have us send them out set with the same capacity and the same nozzle size and then go round and round with their tuner. i preached and I preached a lot of times the similarities end with the numbers on the box. But some people just won't have that. I can't come on here and tell you the reason your injectors run like crap is because everyone of your oil sides is full of shims. When I do I get jumped by the "swingers" and I'm the bad guy because I took more time and more effort to offer something better. Seems worth it right?

I know my lil set of 170s from caserly has a shim in one of the 8.. I guess I dont even remember what a shim does to it..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Wanna be a lot more specific about that?

What brand injectors are you hearing the most complaints about?

What are you doing differently in place of their oil side shims?

It's not the complaints we hear about, it's the product that comes in to be fixed properly (disclaimer: properly in my eyes).

PIS injectors have the oil bodies machined, we do not shim the armature plates like many others. Without getting my hand slapped from site admin, swamps is the only other "popular" brand of injectors that also machine the bodies. I doubt Dave will mind me sharing this. All others that come through here from this site use shims. Some have wised up somewhat about it and don't use them in some larger sets, others don't care what they are and fill them all with shims.

Not correcting the problem may fix one issue, but opens the doors to others. When we get in a set of injectors that literally has less than 1,000 miles and the owner simply can not get satisfaction from his warranty, be it 18 months or lifetime we offer a solution. Unfortunetly it's not a cheap solution. But it has always resolved the issue.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Man i wish my crap 175/80 pis injectors idled thst clean on a cold start like that.

Why don't you ask your tuner why your injectors only haze when the temps are cold?

I mean I'm no rocket sicentist but I have never understood how anyone could blame this on a mechanical part.

Oil temp normal/high no haze. Oil temp low haze. Oil viscosity map that inputs to soi. Gee I wonder.

I have the same issue, same injector. I'm not blaming the injector.

I wish you would offer tunes.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
I have the same issue, same injector. I'm not blaming the injector.

I wish you would offer tunes.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Here's he problem........buy a dyno and hire addition help to cover current workload. All this to create tunes that we would likely ultimately give free with injector purchases. Unfortunetly the "business" math just doesn't work out.

Would we love to fix some issues we see? Absolutely but at the end of the day this is a business that does put food on the table in some households and we simply can not do things that could jeopardize that.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Just a thought....you don't need to buy a dyno. I'm sure a person or group can get together and buy some dyno time. Then you will fly in (expenses paid), tune the truck(s) and fly home. My friend does this exact thing but tuning cars instead.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Swaan

Reaction score
Or heres an idea.

It seems your injectors are so special only certain tuners have them nailed down. Why don't you tell us where to go for tuning so we can get them to run right.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Or heres an idea.

It seems your injectors are so special only certain tuners have them nailed down. Why don't you tell us where to go for tuning so we can get them to run right.

I wonder why all the guys who had heat issues with turbos before the sxe (basb which is similar in concept) are the ones with tuning issues?

Do you have a "stock" tune swaan? Does it smoke?

ja_cain

Reaction score
I wonder why all the guys who had heat issues with turbos before the sxe (basb which is similar in concept) are the ones with tuning issues?

Good suggestion Ty! I remember Charles saying his stock tune didn't smoke in lower temps upon startup, but his current tuning at the time did. I need to go back and reread the thread and see if and how he was able to fix it.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but both Brad and Mike did nothing more than just a Turbo 38r to SXE swap with no tuning changes whats so ever.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I too only changed just a turbo while leaving tuning alone. The sxe without a doubt cleaned up smoke and lowered egts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
hence the leaks you guys had that where fixed when you swapped over to the t4 setup...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Swaan

Reaction score

It dont matter what tune i run . Stock , ********, php,Tony or swamps they all smoke and haze cold..

I never had egt issues ever . Because i know how to drive and keep rpm in the sweet spot to keep egts happy.

Just with the 36.4.5 that sweet spot is anywhere in the rpm range .lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.