Detuning large injector nozzles - How to pick injector size for upgrades!

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
I guess.

Ive heard that 160/30s have an issue in manual trucks but not any other combo of barrel/plunger/nozzle and only in manual super duty trucks. If 175/80s were hazing at idle id have sent them back immediately. Unless I found something that was causing idle resolution issues. Like an idm perhaps.
I hope not. Im about to get those sticks

1994.5 CCLB zf5

Reaction score
All of my single shots did it when cold, as Geerhead has pointed out, our 02 does not

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

superpsd

Reaction score
Not extremely cold start but a sunny 66° morning and truck is in the shade after a cold night. Chip bypassed 200% nozzles. I'm sure when it really gets cold running these nozzles on a stock tune will be hazy but i dont plan to.

https://youtu.be/o8gn4EygzR8

cbf9703

Reaction score
Not extremely cold start but a sunny 66° morning and truck is in the shade after a cold night. Chip bypassed 200% nozzles. I'm sure when it really gets cold running these nozzles on a stock tune will be hazy but i dont plan to.

https://youtu.be/o8gn4EygzR8
Not trying to be a dik, but when did 66* become a cold start?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its not really. I busted mine off on a 38 so far this year and i didnt even let the gp's go. Turned the key, heard the air in the fuel rail, swish swish swishhhhhhhhh-chhhhh, braaap.

My injectors just have 5k on them and they keep getting better *knock wood*. The best part is my commute now is about 40 miles per day and as of my fill up tonight im returning 19.875 miles per gallon. Yep, even on a set of nozzles that dont run right on trucks. I get it warm and I don't drive towards my destination but rather aim for a point on the horizon and shoot towards it. Even doing that in a tune that'll blow the tires to pieces the egts hit 1000 if you hold it to the floor for a long time.

This trans is broke in and it enjoys ahatever power im able to feed it. And it stays under 150deg. Win win!

superpsd

Reaction score
Not trying to be a dik, but when did 66* become a cold start?

Its not really once the cold sets in I will maybe see how bad it starts on the factory calibration. However the truck was in the shade and it was like 40° overnight and because the sun pops up does not mean the engine that is sitting in the shade has had time to warm up and is already 60. When oil is only 50° it does not flow as well. Its hard with the BS phone to capture haze when the sun is not out. I plan to invest in some better camera equiptment as my phones camera is shot and lens is scratched. Looking at the go pro stuff.

Last edited:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
******** tunes were the worst for idle and pretty much every other aspect in my experience. Loud and loopy. Cold or hot. And I only have 80% nozzles. When it's cold in my area freezing is warm

cbf9703

Reaction score
Its not really once the cold sets in I will maybe see how bad it starts on the factory calibration. However the truck was in the shade and it was like 40° overnight and because the sun pops up does not mean the engine that is sitting in the shade has had time to warm up and is already 60. When oil is only 50° it does not flow as well. Its hard with the BS phone to capture haze when the sun is not out. I plan to invest in some better camera equiptment as my phones camera is shot and lens is scratched. Looking at the go pro stuff.

Do we need to have the ambient temperature talk? If it's 60* outside, it's still 60*....

When it's cold in my area freezing is warm

I'm in the south and I don't consider anything a "cold start" until freezing or below even for us... and even that is relative because we still get to negative ambient temps a few days a winter.

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
No matter what the ambient temperature is as long as the oil is NOT WARM isn't it considered a cold start anyways?¿ cause if the engine oil is warm wouldn't it be a hot start...?

1994.5 CCLB zf5

m_j

Reaction score
IMG_20121119_164005.png

if its warmer out then this, it isnt a cold start

superpsd

Reaction score
Do we need to have the ambient temperature talk? If it's 60* outside, it's still 60*....

I'm in the south and I don't consider anything a "cold start" until freezing or below even for us... and even that is relative because we still get to negative ambient temps a few days a winter.

So cold oil has no effect on a heui injection system? I may as set all the EOT related multipliers in the calibration to zero.

cbf9703

Reaction score
You seem to imply that an engine needs to be below freezing to be considered a cold start.
OK, you are correct that I was saying that to me 50* is not a "cold" start even though the EOT is lower than normal operating temp like someone pointed out.

I also was implying that ambient air temperature is the temp in the shade.... it may feel warmer in the sun, but unless you were reading the temp in direct sun that is the actual temp and your truck sitting under a tree or whatever won't make it colder than ambient temp. Just like wind chill doesn't impact your truck.

I did not say cold oil doesn't impact our our trucks, but I do recognize a difference in starting the truck at 50*, 30* and 0*.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.