Did some Precision vs. Batmo turbo testing

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
For anyone looking at the 71mm offerings available.

Yesterday we did some dyno testing on Wayne's and Jd's trucks.

Waynes truck is getting a little tired and going to go under the knife shortly but prior to the teardown we decided to test a few turbos.

We threw on our Tow-power atmosphere and then another turbo with the same specs except the Batmowheel replacement for the Tow-Power atmo. Basically the only difference was the compressor wheel. The Batmowheel (made by Bullseye) was designed as a replacement "upgrade" for the Tow-Power wheel (made by Precision turbo).

The dyno test was started at 2000 rpm with the turbos not spooled. This is so we could see the spool up.

If you look at the dyno test run 027 was the 71mm batmowheel Tow-power replacement and run 031 was the EDE Tow-Power.

Results: The Batmowheel "upgrade" made 8 more hp for 250rpm and everywhere else made less horsepower. The batmowheel also spooled noticeably slower. Look at the dyno graph.

In comparison the Tow-Power put 20 or more horsepower in mulitple rpms ranges.

Conclusion: The batmowheel upgrade for the Tow-Power is actually a Downgrade. A slight peak hp bump for less hp everywhere else in the operating range is not worthwhile.

Just a little info for people comparing what's out there.

The 2nd test we did was our (soon to be released) Tow-Power Plus atomosphere turbo versus our existing Tow-Power atmosphere turbo.

We ran it with Innovative extreme race and gearhead extreme tune. With the extreme race the turbo picked up 50hp peak. So with a "heavy on the fuel" tune like extreme race the turbo really shined. (Run 008 was the 71mm Tow-Power atmo and run 034 was the 72mm Tow-Power + atmo)

With the slightly less aggressive Gearhead Race tune the gain was not as great but still nice being closer to 30hp.

Attachments

• Precision to batmo roll on from 2K.jpg
    Precision to batmo roll on from 2K.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 274
  • Jd's innovative 71 to 72mm.jpg
    Jd's innovative 71 to 72mm.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 318

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Looking like the hype of the batmo was just that...... Nice job guys!

Maybe somebody at Elite can show JD how to install atmosphere turbos without shredding the exhaust gasket lol.

MINK

Reaction score
The 71 vs 72 done on JDs truck with stock fuel? Gated? I'm very interested in more info on this 72..

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
For anyone looking at the 71mm offerings available.

Yesterday we did some dyno testing on Wayne's and Jd's trucks.

Waynes truck is getting a little tired and going to go under the knife shortly but prior to the teardown we decided to test a few turbos.

We threw on our Tow-power atmosphere and then another turbo with the same specs except the Batmowheel replacement for the Tow-Power atmo. Basically the only difference was the compressor wheel. The Batmowheel (made by Bullseye) was designed as a replacement "upgrade" for the Tow-Power wheel (made by Precision turbo).

The dyno test was started at 2000 rpm with the turbos not spooled. This is so we could see the spool up.

If you look at the dyno test run 027 was the 71mm batmowheel Tow-power replacement and run 031 was the EDE Tow-Power.

Results: The Batmowheel "upgrade" made 8 more hp for 250rpm and everywhere else made less horsepower. The batmowheel also spooled noticeably slower. Look at the dyno graph.

In comparison the Tow-Power put 20 or more horsepower in mulitple rpms ranges.

Conclusion: The batmowheel upgrade for the Tow-Power is actually a Downgrade. A slight peak hp bump for less hp everywhere else in the operating range is not worthwhile.

Just a little info for people comparing what's out there.

The 2nd test we did was our (soon to be released) Tow-Power Plus atomosphere turbo versus our existing Tow-Power atmosphere turbo.

We ran it with Innovative extreme race and gearhead extreme tune. With the extreme race the turbo picked up 50hp peak. So with a "heavy on the fuel" tune like extreme race the turbo really shined. (Run 008 was the 71mm Tow-Power atmo and run 034 was the 72mm Tow-Power + atmo)

With the slightly less aggressive Gearhead Race tune the gain was not as great but still nice being closer to 30hp.

Tadd,

JD should be talking to you about me today.. Dont let me down :)

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Great work guys!

JD have you had the chance to drive that 72 on the street to get any more of a report on it? Obviously 30-50hp depending on tune is a huge increase for the guy trying to decide between the two.
But are there any down sides that you have found so far?

700hp on a stock truck with some turbo tweaks.... no studs.... no gates....stock transmission.... Its a beautiful thing!

jdgleason

Reaction score
Great work guys!

JD have you had the chance to drive that 72 on the street to get any more of a report on it? Obviously 30-50hp depending on tune is a huge increase for the guy trying to decide between the two.
But are there any down sides that you have found so far?

700hp on a stock truck with some turbo tweaks.... no studs.... no gates....stock transmission.... Its a beautiful thing!

I have.... Perks of having an hour drive to work... :doh:

The truck does feel stronger on the street. The most noticeable thing this morning was EGT's on the interstate. Cruise set for 80, EGT's stayed between 600 and 650, on the gearhead race tune. Smoke is down a touch even from the 71. The truck doesn't feel like it lost any snap, just seems to have a little more pep in its step.

I haven't driven the truck on the street with Xrace... compared to my gearhead tune, I can't go back to it. lol

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I have.... Perks of having an hour drive to work... :doh:

The truck does feel stronger on the street. The most noticeable thing this morning was EGT's on the interstate. Cruise set for 80, EGT's stayed between 600 and 650, on the gearhead race tune. Smoke is down a touch even from the 71. The truck doesn't feel like it lost any snap, just seems to have a little more pep in its step.

I haven't driven the truck on the street with Xrace... compared to my gearhead tune, I can't go back to it. lol

I will agree with you on the gearhead race tune... its addicting.

Thanks for the little tid bit bud, sounds like the 71mm might be at the end of its run if the 72 has everything plus some!

Looking forward to more results!

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Nice testing. I can't say that I am completely surprised either.

Was any testing done at lower power level tunes? Say a 400rwhp ish tow tune?

madman1234509

Reaction score
How many runs did you do to compare the precision vs the batmo to really get a good average?? Also, like some have stated before in other threads, these precision and garrett gtr turbos already have billet wheels without the gtx or any upgrades, so I wouldnt of thought the batmowheel would be an upgrade compared to the stock wheels in them. Does that mean the batmo is junk?? I wouldnt say so at all.... Would I say the batmo is a good unpgrade for an already top of the line precision or garrett? No.... The batmo is a good cheap upgrade for these stock chargers or the CAST wheeled bullseye turbos.

As for the 71-72mm difference... Is there a diference on a lower tune like a tow tune or x street, or the spartan 275? Is this 72mm going to be sold as an entirely different turbo from the 71? Seems like the 71 would just be obsolete if you can just sell the 72 for close to what the 71mm is priced at.

Latest posts

Members online