Dieselsite in-line trans filter install

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
First thing I want to say is this kit is so complete it isn’t funny. Everything needed was there and the directions are spot on. The fit and finish were stellar!!

I recently smoked the stock Trans on the 1/4 mile (135K miles on it) and it left ne immobile. I ordered a full billet from Warren Diesel and decided that the screen and the remote filter upfront at the cooler were not enough filtration for the sheer money I was spending for the Trans.

After I looked around I saw the Dieselsite kit and the 08 pan upgrade as my 2 options. The pan upgrade was half the cost of the Dieselsite kit but after talking to dealers, I couldn’t get the parts together in time for the install of the Trans.

I talked to Champion Trans and they had the Dieselsite kit shipped to me in 3 days. that was perfect as the trans got installed that wed and I dropped the kit off for them to install as they did the trans. well they were nor receptive of installing it as they feel the ford filter is adequate and they choose not to. I was a little pissed but the price they charged to install the Trans was so low I said screw it and would do it myself.

Fast forward to this morning. I installed it in about an hour and a half in the garage. No special tools or anything needed. Cut and dry instructions and a little coffee were all I needed.

here are some pics.

i started by mounting the filter base. i had to drill the plate out instead of a hole in the frame. 3/16 aluminum or 1/4 inch steel frame, no brainer. the holes were already in the frame, just moved the one hole down 1/4 inch. too easy.

IMG_16501.jpg

dis-connected the rear trans line and loosely installed the Dieselsite lines.

IMG_16481.jpg

then routed them over the exhaust and frame to the filer base

IMG_16461.jpg

the important part of keeping them loose becomes clear as the lines need to be able to adjust so they don't try to sit low. very strong lines and they don't want to after tightened up.

filter input line

IMG_16451.jpg

filter output line

IMG_16491-1.jpg

this gives you an idea of how much clearance they have installed and tightened.

IMG_16471.jpg

here is the overall fit of the filter. still protected by the frame

IMG_16511.jpg

range91

Reaction score
Cooler doesn't need to be replaced if they have a reverse heated flush machine which will clean cooler and let you know it has adequate flow.. Filter should def be replaced though.

RescueF250

Reaction score
IIRC Ford recommends that if your doing a trans swap. Flush wouldn't have helped mine had a lot of junk floating around still in the cooler didn't take that chance rather it all be new.

range91

Reaction score
IIRC Ford recommends that if your doing a trans swap. Flush wouldn't have helped mine had a lot of junk floating around still in the cooler didn't take that chance rather it all be new.

You would be surprised how good these machines work they are intended for just trans cooler flushing not the whole trans...I have got a ton of metal and clutch materials out of coolers that would barely flow 1/4 gpm then by the time I'm done would flow 2 gpm.. the machines are like 5 grand but a must for professional trans shop.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
the toilet paper filter was replaced. I looked at it and the fluid and I didn't see anything in it that really stood out, some gunk in the filter but no metal in the fluid.

the cooler was flushed and the lines as well.

I was going to replace the cooler but after the fluid was in pretty clean/good shape I went with the flush.

I am going to change this filter in about 2-3K miles and see what it has caught.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Does this filter receive flow all the time or is it controlled by the thermostat just like the toilet paper filter?

Extended Power

Reaction score
Anyone know the micron rating of the toilet paper roll filter?

I picked up the Baldwin filter base and 10 micron filter today, and was going to remove the stock external filter as the hoses are leaking, and install the new Baldwin setup close to the front.

Just found it......2 micron. The Baldwin BT839-10 is only a 10-12 micron rating...crap....gonna have to keep the litte asswipe filter in there too.

Last edited:

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
I still have to find out how much fluid sees the lil 2micron filter sees.

I have read 10% and also read 100%.

The damn thing was filthy when it was pulled so I would believe 100% but if it had never been changed, 10% is feasible too.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I think....
I think they say 10% to 100% because it is thermostatically controlled.

Only sends out enough to keep the transmission at proper operating temp?

Idk...

Mdub707

Reaction score
There's not going to be a way to measure how much it sees. It likely only takes 10% at a time, but eventually 100% of the fluid passes through, that's how a bypass filter works. It can't take 100% at a time, otherwise it will blow apart. I think you're confusing bypass filters for a full flow filter. In order to filter down to 1 and 2 microns absolute there is just no way you're going to send all of the fluid through it at once, it's physically impossible. Unless you have a filter the size of your truck.

Thanks for sharing the pics of the filter install! Looks good.

Extended Power

Reaction score
The Baldwin filter base has a 25 psi bypass on it, so if the filter starts to create too much differential across it, it starts to bypass the filter.

If the Baldwin starts bypassing, I'd say it's already too late to save the transmission...

chappy

Reaction score
So I guess I missed if this was a bypass kit or a full flow kit? If full flow where does it get fluid from?

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
It is full flow. Fluid comes from the cooler to the filter and then to trans. It intercepts the fluid at the fitting on the trans and disconnects it from the trans and connects in between the trans and cooler.

chappy

Reaction score
It is full flow. Fluid comes from the cooler to the filter and then to trans. It intercepts the fluid at the fitting on the trans and disconnects it from the trans and connects in between the trans and cooler.

So it only sees some of the fluid if it gets it from the cooler line.So you would still need a 08 filter ujpgrade to see filtration all the time.That sucks

Latest posts

Members online