Diff crush sleeve

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I used a new crush sleeve the first time around. Used the original R&P and yoke, new Timken bearings, and all OEM crush sleeves, slingers, and shims. I mic'd the bearings because I was curious if the Timkens vs OEM Koyo's were the same which they were. Everything was in spec.

I'm not arguing the fact about using the cheater bar and requiring immense torque. I expected to do that actually. Now I'm just curious how I achieved my results the way I did.

Tom S

Reaction score
I have never fooled with one but would a torque multplier work for this kind of stuff?

Charles

Reaction score
I used a new crush sleeve the first time around. Used the original R&P and yoke, new Timken bearings, and all OEM crush sleeves, slingers, and shims. I mic'd the bearings because I was curious if the Timkens vs OEM Koyo's were the same which they were. Everything was in spec.

I'm not arguing the fact about using the cheater bar and requiring immense torque. I expected to do that actually. Now I'm just curious how I achieved my results the way I did.

I don't understand it either. The largest impact I've got is a 3/4 drive, and it's pretty stout, and will break plenty of crap clean off, but the force required to get a crush sleeve to start down is easily twice what it is capable of.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Why not just ditch the crush sleeve altogether? When I built my 10.5 and installed my Detroit I used a solid spacer and shims for a Ford 9". Works perfect and fits the pinon great. Sure it takes longer to set up but once its right you never have to worry again and as a bonus you don't have to put 700ft lbs on it, just torque it to about 250 and your good.

kampy

Reaction score
Why not just ditch the crush sleeve altogether? When I built my 10.5 and installed my Detroit I used a solid spacer and shims for a Ford 9". Works perfect and fits the pinon great. Sure it takes longer to set up but once its right you never have to worry again and as a bonus you don't have to put 700ft lbs on it, just torque it to about 250 and your good.

A solid spacer and shims is the best way to do it, far from the easiest but definitely the best.

20007.3stroker

Reaction score

Im looking into this:thumbup:. Thanks for the help and ideas guys.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.