Dipstick tube oil leak 96 7.3

obsonbogs

Reaction score
So after re sealing my motor and putting it back in , I got it running and driving again , but have an oil leak from what looks like around the threads of the bolt that goes into the side of the pan for the dip stick tube , is there a trick to fixing it ? It's not too bad but is almost a steady drip when running so I wanna get that fixed. Any tips would be helpful, thanks !

brewer

Reaction score
There is a nut on the inside of the oil pan holding the tube on that comes loose and allows it to leak. Aside from pulling the motor, the Strictly kit seems to be the favorite for those fixing it in-truck, though there are a couple other options that others have done.

78f100

Reaction score
Whs above, or you can put a new oring. It's a butt puckering job trying to not drop the inside nut. You have to run a pipe cleaner, coat hanger through the dipstick hole into the pan to keep the inner nut from falling, it's not fun but can be done.

webb06

Reaction score
Just did one of these jobs last week. Remove the starter. Drain the oil. Remove the dipstick tube. Get something like this that you have to forcefully push into the hole for the dipstick tube
532a7cbc4460e40afef91e9fdd545ff2.jpg

Then remove the nut on the outside of the pan being careful not to let go of the pipe cleaner when you get the nut off. Take note of the way the hole in the adapter is facing because there are two positions it can rotate to. Fish out the old o ring and insert the new one. Make absolutely certain that the new o ring is in the groove on the interior adapter otherwise you'll have a leak. Put the exterior nut back on and get it tight. Nothing stupid but tight. I like to then smear some silicone around the threads to keep the nut from someday backing off. Reinstall dipstick tube and starter. Fill oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obsonbogs

Reaction score
Just did one of these jobs last week. Remove the starter. Drain the oil. Remove the dipstick tube. Get something like this that you have to forcefully push into the hole for the dipstick tube
532a7cbc4460e40afef91e9fdd545ff2.jpg

Then remove the nut on the outside of the pan being careful not to let go of the pipe cleaner when you get the nut off. Take note of the way the hole in the adapter is facing because there are two positions it can rotate to. Fish out the old o ring and insert the new one. Make absolutely certain that the new o ring is in the groove on the interior adapter otherwise you'll have a leak. Put the exterior nut back on and get it tight. Nothing stupid but tight. I like to then smear some silicone around the threads to keep the nut from someday backing off. Reinstall dipstick tube and starter. Fill oil.

Thank you , this is very helpful , will be doing the job this weekend

4duggan

Reaction score
I tried fixing it the dieselorings way , but couldn't get it to seal up .
Probably fault of my own .put strictlys fix in 4 years ago . Good to go .
Stung the bank book a bit , but worth it .

Jomax

Reaction score
Ya but do you need to pull the pan to install ? I just put a new pan on and just dropped the motor back in , not pulling again

No, and it's super simple to install. I love it, I've used it twice.

Jomax

Reaction score
might not be the prettiest but cleaning it up and JB welding around it works too. and its cheap

But it can still leak, and now you have a mess you have to clean up to re fix it.

obsonbogs

Reaction score
No, and it's super simple to install. I love it, I've used it twice.

But does the nut on the inside of the pan fall in when you take off the outside to put on the new strictly one ?

Jomax

Reaction score
But does the nut on the inside of the pan fall in when you take off the outside to put on the new strictly one ?

Yup, that's not an issue. Only time it's an issue is if your truck is upside down. At that point, you have bigger issues.

obsonbogs

Reaction score
Yup, that's not an issue. Only time it's an issue is if your truck is upside down. At that point, you have bigger issues.

Lol alright sounds good that's all I was worried about but your not the first to say it's not an issue , thanks for the help

Arisley

Reaction score
From now on remember a big lesson. If you have an oil pan out, just go ahead and do a dipstick repair while there. Saves headaches.

Sorta like touching a SBC oil pump. If I can touch it, I replace it.

Latest posts

Members online