Discount Tire refused to sell me tires

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I've got 325/50/r22 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck. 35,000 miles and they are down to the wear bars. Not great, but compared to the stockers that went 6,000 miles and were throwing chunks that's fantastic and they are wearing very evenly.

Yea, I have a bit of a heavy foot.

Anyway, bought them and the rims at Discount tire. Today I go in to get a quote on new tires and they refused to sell me the same tire. Said it was unsafe and dangerous because they aren't the same rating and tried to push me into some hankooks (sp?).
Nittos are good for 3305lbs and the POS michelins were 3410lbs.

So for 200lbs of theoretical capacity they refused to sell me tires. No, it's not 400 because the front end is no where near that load capacity, only the rear end.

I have never loaded the truck to the max and never will.

How stupid is this?

I love using Discount Tire, been a customer there for 15 years. Now, not so much.

I did find that Nitto is releasing a Terra Grappler G2 in that size very soon with a mileage guarantee. Definitely going to wait for these.

Last edited:

bluedevilslax

Reaction score
If you like discount tire even though some of the managers there can be kind of picky, I know I used to work there and still know a lot of the managers. Buy through discounttiredirect.com and have them do the mounting for and balancing for you. Plus of you bought the certs they have to sell you the same tire with the coverage that the certs offer.

stevens6.7

Reaction score
If you like discount tire even though some of the managers there can be kind of picky, I know I used to work there and still know a lot of the managers. Buy through discounttiredirect.com and have them do the mounting for and balancing for you. Plus of you bought the certs they have to sell you the same tire with the coverage that the certs offer.

I was also going to suggest discount direct.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Yep they refused to put the tires on I wanted because their magical little computer says "No this tire is not rated for this truck" so I said *** them bought tires off line and took my rims to a shop and told them it was for a "jeep project" mounted balanced and didn't have to run a TPMS and went 5 mins down the road to my house and mounted them on my truck.

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
If they are "E" rated why would they not mount them? I used Town Fair Tire for that size on my truck "E" and had no issue with them mounting and balancing and installing. Are they rated correctly for the vehicle? I assume they are, but it does not make sense that they won't sell other than that.

TripleE44

Reaction score
In todays sue-happy world, they're just trying to protect their ass. I don't see how you'd get mad at that. If there's any chance you could one day overload it and say they put the tires on and didn't tell you the rating, they're screwed.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I've been through this with them. Both on Falkens and Nittos. They would mount the tire on my wheels but would not install them on the truck. I understand...its a liability...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
4wheelonline.com has alot of sales now and free shipping

dsberman94

Reaction score
Take just the wheels in and have them mount the tires on them. Take home and put back on truck. Walmart won't mount or balance "oversize" tires either unless you bring just the wheels.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Weird...I emailed Nitto and their response was that the 325/50/22 Terra Grappler G2 is in stock in both their GA and CA warehouse. But everybody I've called can't get them.

If Discount hadn't turned me down I'd have never known this tire existed, but now I'm determined that this is the next tire I'm running. Just have to be patient I guess. Not one of my better qualities :D

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Local hopup shop (Truck Toys in Piedmont, SC) hooked me up on a set of 325/50r22 terra grappler g2 for $450/tire. That's way less than DT.

If it weren't for the darn taxes it'd have been a lot less. Oh well.

Jomax

Reaction score
Local hopup shop (Truck Toys in Piedmont, SC) hooked me up on a set of 325/50r22 terra grappler g2 for $450/tire. That's way less than DT.

If it weren't for the darn taxes it'd have been a lot less. Oh well.

Post a pic of them mounted up!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of 295/70r18s... they were supposed to be released Nov 1st... haven't found them anywhere. Let me know how you like them. Might wait till spring for new shoes.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of 295/70r18s... they were supposed to be released Nov 1st... haven't found them anywhere. Let me know how you like them. Might wait till spring for new shoes.

Thats the same exact tire size I have on mine only they are the trail grapplers. Best dam tires I have ever owned! Ive got over 20,000 miles on mine so far and are still above 50% life. They sell the 295/70/18s over in Bloomington Il. Im sure they can get them for you there. Order them now so when you pick your truck up in Peoria, you can just swing over there and have it done haha. Also, whats wrong with your tire size? Arent yours bigger? 35s?

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Thats the same exact tire size I have on mine only they are the trail grapplers. Best dam tires I have ever owned! Ive got over 20,000 miles on mine so far and are still above 50% life. They sell the 295/70/18s over in Bloomington Il. Im sure they can get them for you there. Order them now so when you pick your truck up in Peoria, you can just swing over there and have it done haha. Also, whats wrong with your tire size? Arent yours bigger? 35s?

I'll probably wait till my MTs are shot before I switch but I'd like to get a set of the new G2s. Nothing wrong with my 35s. I originally wanted 35s in the Terra Grappler or AT2s but they were both back ordered for 2 months when I got my rims. Didn't feel like waiting and put MTs on it. Also with the 295s I shouldn't have trouble finding a shop to mount them since they should be rated for my truck. Don't feel like switching all 4 off and taking just my rims in to get new tires. Too much of a hassle I had to deal with last time.

Not to mention the 295/70r18s are cheaper, lighter, and a tad skinnier to help with floatation. Nothing wrong with the 35s just looking for a less aggressive "sleeper" look. Besides my rims nothing else is done cosmetically. I like to blend in... minus the turbo whistle of course.