DIY Bellowed Up-Pipes

Krause

Reaction score
Got around to making some bellowed up pipes for the truck. I believe mine are still functional at this point, but its always nice to build things when your not under pressure to get it back on the road. So picked up a spare pair of OBS up-pipes & collector, and built a set. Big thanks to Jim, we got together at his shop to do this, in addition to all his nice tools, he had a spare OBS motor to make mock up a breeze.

My thing was I didnt want ANYTHING to do with donuts or gaskets or anything. I know you can install bellows and it takes the movement away from the donuts and helps the seal again, but I wanted them gone completely. So this is going to be a one piece unit all the way up to the collector, similar to a t4 mount, only using stock parts.

First pic is in stock form.

Second pic is them cut and stainless bellow going on.

Third pic is them being mocked and tacked while on the engine. The bellows are a bit girthier than the stock pipes, (and thicker than the bellows on the international pipes as well i believe), so its a bit snug against the block & were the tranny bell-housing will be. But with a couple small tweaks, I think they fit well. Having an engine out to do this made it very enjoyable.

Fourth pick is the finished pipes tacked up. A friend is welding the cast flanges at the collector all up so it will be solid at the collector, and also tig-ing the bellows in to make it look nice. The bellows could easily be done without a tig welder though.... the cast... maybe not so much, but they took a tac fairly well.

The fifth pic is them installed on the motor.

Thanks again Jim! We will be making some more for his truck soon. Ill post a pic of the one piece finished product all welded with results of the cast welding job as soon as I get them back. All and all, a really achievable job (especially if you have an engine on the stand), and Im in it for 60 bucks in bellows along with a spare set of up pipes and collector<--- but you wouldnt need these if you just pulled your existing ones.

-Krause

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 267

superduty4x4

Reaction score
So are you welding the flanges to the collector, or just to the up pipes? Just curious because I'll likely be tackling this soon, but don't have the means to weld to cast and plan on just bolting the up pipes to the collector and making my own gaskets (if gaskets are even needed).

Krause

Reaction score
So are you welding the flanges to the collector, or just to the up pipes? Just curious because I'll likely be tackling this soon, but don't have the means to weld to cast and plan on just bolting the up pipes to the collector and making my own gaskets (if gaskets are even needed).

The flanges will be welded first to the pipes, so that they are sealed to the up-pipes themselves, then bolted in place and welded to the collector to seal it to the collector and make it all one piece. Then bolts removed and holes plugged where the bolts were to prevent any gas escaping around the threads.

Yes, making a more robust flange/gaskets are probly a much more practical way to go about this, especially considering the cast welding. I was just horny about having it all welded and one piece, no more gaskets to worry about etc etc. But I know they can be made to be just as effective (maybe even more :doh:)with a gasket.

Krause

Reaction score
Downpipes vary a lot, did you check for clearance between the R up pipe bellows and the down pipe?

Cant say that we did put a downpipe on. That said, this configuration has been used before with out trouble. And I know my downpipe has a goofy heat shield thing on it right now, which is bulkier than the added diameter of the bellow, so i think it should be ok.

JCart

Reaction score
Nice work. Have you installed onto your truck yet? Interested how the one piece fits in there. On mine the last time I had it apart I pushed the space and floor pan lips back as much as I could so I could pull the pipes out from top or bottom. Perhaps it is just snug on my truck.

If one was to use gaskets at the collector up pipe interface, what would you recommend?

jrc

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Nice work. Have you installed onto your truck yet? Interested how the one piece fits in there. On mine the last time I had it apart I pushed the space and floor pan lips back as much as I could so I could pull the pipes out from top or bottom. Perhaps it is just snug on my truck.

If one was to use gaskets at the collector up pipe interface, what would you recommend?

jrc

couldnt you still use the IH bellowed uppies gaskets? its just a crush gasket.

live life full throttle

Krause

Reaction score

jrc

I have not put them on my truck yet, and to be honest, they wont go on for a while. That said, im expecting a struggle with it being one piece, will likely drop the tranny crossmember and tilt the engine/tranny combo down then try to install from the top. If that dosnt work, ill just pull the tranny; I may have already done that anyways to get the turbo out, its never been off

If it were me doing gaskets, I would weld a nice new flange onto the uppipes, pretty much replicating what international does, then by the international bellowed up pipe gaskets from riffraff and use those. You can see in this link the international pipes have a fixed flange on the left hand side sealed to the pipes, you would have to reproduce that.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/m...roduct_Code=1843486C92&Category_Code=FOBS-OEM

And then if it were me, since I already copied the flange, I would use their gasket, here.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/m...Product_Code=GZ-14-097&Category_Code=FOBS-OEM

couldnt you still use the IH bellowed uppies gaskets? its just a crush gasket.

live life full throttle

You can use the IH bellow gaskets, if you make a fixed flange on the top of the uppipe totally sealed to the pipe as described above. They wont work on the regular cast flange from the stock setup, nothing would seal to the pipe that way.

Either that or DIY some with some gasket material that is available at most auto parts stores.

Not sure the DIY gasket maker would be good for that kind of heat? Ide be afraid to incinerate it.

they have stainless steel diy gasket material?

live life full throttle

Not sure on that, would be worth a look with the IH gaskets I linked above being worth 50 bucks...no thanks

rat49f6

Reaction score
The plan for mine is to use the victor donuts and bolt them right back just like stock... the donuts wont slide because the bellows move easier

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The plan for mine is to use the victor donuts and bolt them right back just like stock... the donuts wont slide because the bellows move easier

i was just kinda thinking the same thing...

live life full throttle

Krause

Reaction score
Yes Jim is right, once the bellows are on, a fresh set of 7$ donuts will seal and not experience the same movement because the bellows will take the brunt of vibration and any movement. As I mentioned before, I was just horny about have a one piece setup and excessively more work :D

rat49f6

Reaction score
You guys think there is a market for these? Maybe an exchange program

Latest posts

Members online