DIY Regulated Return

KPSquared

Reaction score
Well, I've decided to build my own RR and make it as simple as possible. I don't plan to build a full fuel system, just eliminate the dead head at the rails. I' figure I'd post my progress up here.

Haven't decided on hard line or hose/push loks. It depends on what I can get locally. The shops around here give me some really sideways looks when I start asking questions. Even finding a freaking JIC to 1/8 NPT fitting it a challenge. If I wouldn't get raped so bad shipping from the states, I'd just do that...

Either way, the main piece of my project showed up in the mail today... Got it used for $75 shipped to my door... I guess without this, I've got nothing. I'll post up as I progress... I'm a slow mover and am building my garage right now, so this could take a while.

utf-8BV2V0YXNraXdpbi0yMDExMDgyNS0wMDAwOS5qcGc.jpg

More to come.

KPSquared

Reaction score
So far, I've got everything lined up. I've just got a couple q's if anyone can answer them.

Can I hook a JIC fitting to a AN fitting or will it leak? All my stuff is JIC except for the two fittings out the sides of the reg in the pic above. I assume they are -6 AN. I don't know for sure.

The shop that I am buying everything from has limited AN stuff, but lots of JIC.

Does anyone know for sure what size those fittings are and what size the holes in the regulator are for the fittings? Are they ORB? And what size of ORB are they?

Any help is appreciated.

My plan is to just go from the front of the passenger side head and the rear of the drivers side head 1/8NPT ports and then tie into the regulator at the front of the motor. Then just cap off the fuel bowl regulator and use the stock return line.

Anyone foresee any problems with this approach?

KPSquared

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I should have googled that earlier... JIC and AN will interchage just fine on this kind of application.

Just gotta find out what size the ports in the regulator are. Aeromotives website won't load for me right now.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I believe the reg ports are #4 orb. Are you deleting the bowl?

On edit: #6 orb by #6jic

Last edited:

neverkickn

Reaction score
Just saw your answer to my question about the fuel bowl. I capped my fuel bowl too but I have an adapter on order now kinda like the one that ITP sells that will allow me to bypass a little fuel from the top of the bowl into the return line. I think I am having some issues due to trapped air in the top of the fuel bowl.

I know that there is a popular kit that uses a cap on the factory regulator and that the seller would argue that it isn't a problem but I gotta know for sure.

I should have it installed by next weekend and I will let you know if it helps.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Where did you get this adapter? I was wondering about the possibility of air in the top of the bowl and not sure if it mattered.

I'd like to just cap it for simplicity.

If you were to get a stiffer spring in the stock return or shim it, something that would regulate say 75psi, could you just "t" the stock return into the regulator return to the tank? As in just put a "t" in the stock return line and run it to the regulator so you'd have 2 returns, and the adjustable regulator would be regulated lower than the fuel bowl. Does that even make any sense? Just popped in my head.

I assume that's all the Sinister Reg. Return "EXCLUSIVE "No Cut" Return Fitting with Integrated Fuel Filter Air Bleed (Driven Diesel is the ORIGINATOR of the Custom Machined Filter Bowl Fitting!) " does? It just bolts in place of the stock regulator but unless its regulated higher than the regulator, wouldn't the fuel just flow through that?

Last edited:

neverkickn

Reaction score
If you adjusted the factory regulator somehow to bypass at higher pressure than the aeromotive then i don't think you would get flow through it so it wouldn't bleed air. All of the fuel would flow through the aeromotive instead of both.

I think the ITP piece has a very small hole that allows just a small amount of fuel/trapped air to flow out into the return line. The amount of fuel/air being bypassed by the fitting isn't substantial enough to impede the aeromotives ability to maintain pressure.

I will see if I can get a cad of the piece I am having machined and email it to you. It uses male jic threads to adapt to the existing return line so you will have to get a flaring tool and modify the factory hard line to fit the fitting. but It will look clean.

KPSquared

Reaction score
That makes way more sense... I should just learn to think, then post. So, a timy hole won't bleed off pressure or make the pump do more work?

neverkickn

Reaction score
That makes way more sense... I should just learn to think, then post. So, a timy hole won't bleed off pressure or make the pump do more work?

It won't bleed enough fuel for the pump to even notice.

Why not just plug the little 1/8 inch hole, and tap a 6 an fitting in the banjo bolt hole?

There is really no need to feed or return from the end plugs for stage ones. Some would argue that feeding from the endplugs is all together pointless.

Latest posts

Members online