DIY Retrofit Headlights

higherlife

Reaction score
Watching an auction today so I thought I would put together a 'Retrofit DIY Headlight' thread since the parts are coming in today.
I already have a little of a head start but I will do my best to explain the entire process. I painted my first set but left it at that but there are some learning curves that help out a lot that I will include.

First Ones:
118.jpg

Baking the Headlights,
I have found the perfect temperature to be around 200 degrees Fahrenheit. There is one screw that needs to be removed in order to pull the headlight apart. Do not forget to take it out because it is very small. I have found that you can put them directly on the rack without them melting or having any adverse affects. I like to put them in for 10 minutes at a time and it took 4 times a piece to get them fully prepared. This included getting all the glue off the headlight which is very crucial when it comes to resealing them.
It is easiest to get the top right corner, on the drivers side, and the top left corner, on the passengers side, apart first and work your way around. I used a small flat head to accomplish this.
corner1.jpg

Once you have them separated, as i stated, it is very crucial to remove all the glue off the headlight lens and back side valley in order to get the best seal. Trust me i had to redo the baking process because of this. I used a flat head again and picks to get all the glue off.
All the glue off.
128.jpg

With the glue off, its now time to disassemble the inners of the headlight. The main part has three screws that hold it to the lens. Remove these and put on the side.
screwlocation_1.jpg

To get the side makers off, I found it was easiest to snip a little part off the tab in order to not break off the tabs. Once you snip off one side, they will come off very easy and go on great without having to worry about them moving around.
139.jpg

To get the lower part of the headlight off you need to first slide off the top clip that is connected to the mechanism that allows you to control the angle of the light. It will slide right off with the help of a flat head.
127.jpg

Now in order to get the two 'ball and hinge' plastic peices that are on both sides, i used two flat heads in a 'chop stick' configuration to pry the two tabs apart.
126.jpg

132.jpg

They come off very easily once the tabs are disengaged but they are not the easiest to get to. Once off, you will want to remove the two screws that hold the two 'ball and joint' pieces and the one that holds the metal ford light piece.

In order to prep for paint, I have found that using an adhesive promoter works best.
137.jpg

This leaves a very nice surface for your paint. I purchased that paint from scratchwizard.com which does an excellent job matching vehicle colors and also offers the paint in various applications. I like the spray paint to get an even coat. I ordered 3 cans since all the inners will be getting painted.
Lights after prep,
133.jpg

135.jpg

134.jpg

This is were i am at as of right now and will continue tomorrow as the projectors are coming in today. I went with 4x Morimoto Mini H1s and will have switchback halos on all in order to retain blinkers.

Last edited:

higherlife

Reaction score
Glad you guys enjoy it.
Everything came UPS today except the paint. Got to love the long summer days when they drop off at 8:45pm. I will be get the figment together tomorrow and continue the write up as I need to pickup a few things from ace.
b0a22e854c8a3180a9aa1147b5cbe00d.jpg

f296583fc080fc55926ad06816ef96df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95cobby

Reaction score
Great write up so far! Did you use anything to remove the chrome lining on the housing or just spray over top?

Last edited:

higherlife

Reaction score
Great write up so far! Did you use anything to remove the chrome lining on the housing or just spray over top?

Just sprayed on top. About 2 coats makes a nice finish to put a primer on. I'm waiting on more parts to come in to continue.

Jomax

Reaction score
Love this write up! I want to do this bad.

smcox1

Reaction score
It's my personal preference but I scuff up the chrome first and then use an adhesive promoter because I don't want to take the things all apart to fix paint. So far they look good though!

higherlife

Reaction score
aae20a0b44b3bb1bc5eeaa87bcbeb007.jpg

Well here's the finished product. Going to finish the write up over the weekend as work is crazy.
One of the ballasts and an igniter were bad so I didn't want to take a pic of only three lights on. Should have everything installed over the weekend.
Also, does anyone know how to overcome hyper flash with having the halos as blinkers? I've read about putting resisters in line but no definitive answer.

GregW

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know how to overcome hyper flash with having the halos as blinkers? I've read about putting resisters in line but no definitive answer.

You can pick up the Sylvania resistors from the parts store for around $10, just wire one side to ground and the other to the turn signal wire. You can also have the dealer set the BCM up to eliminate the hyper flash.

Great job on the build, they look awesome!

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I just put switch backs in my truck. It took 2 6ohm resistors on each side to fix the hyper flash.

sootie

Reaction score
its easiest to have the rapid flash function turned off with ids.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I just put switch backs in my truck. It took 2 6ohm resistors on each side to fix the hyper flash.

I did this as well. I did hook them up without the resistors and didn't have hyperflash, but I put them in when I had to install an additional relay to make them function properly. Something about stray voltage on the high turn signal circuit, or so I was told. I only had it on the passenger side.

This was on a 2013.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Mine didn't hyper flash with the lights off but as soon as the rest of the lights were on I got hyper flash

higherlife

Reaction score
I ordered 4 50w 6ohm resistors. Sounds like that should do the trick.

ImAti0n

Reaction score
subscribing for the rest of the write up. I plan on doing this very soon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.