Do i NEED to delete the EGR??

azdbllung

Reaction score
Do i need to actually delete the EGR if im running DPF-off tunes with my Minimaxx right now? I was under the assumption that it turns off the EGR valve. If thats that case, why would the actual delete be beneficial... am i missing something??

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Do i need to actually delete the EGR if im running DPF-off tunes with my Minimaxx right now? I was under the assumption that it turns off the EGR valve. If thats that case, why would the actual delete be beneficial... am i missing something??

Free up space in the engine compartment. Eliminate a lot of the extra unnecessary BS you don't need

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the heat cycles can potentially crack the coolers and let coolant directly into a cylinder causing a hydrolock scenario.

heat is greatly reduced when there's no longer exhaust gas flowing through something...

and I have never seen a cracked 6.7 EGR cooler

truckmaniac

Reaction score

I'd never remove the complete EGR system on a 6.7. The cooler isn't problematic (like the 6.4 coolers), so other than reducing a little weight and cleaning up the engine compartment, I see no real need. Plus, if you ever plan to return the truck to "stock" for warranty work or before trading it off, it takes 6+ hours to remove it and I'm sure twice as long to reinstall it, since you won't be able to find all the parts and if you do, you won't be able to remember where they all went.

You need to install a set of EGR block-off plates, which is a simple procedure (about 10 minutes). If you don't, the EGR valve will still be exposed to the soot from the motor and will eventually lock-down, which may or may not be covered by warranty.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Well...when you start modifying a new truck and delete everything the dealer wants on there, I hope you wouldn't look for the dealer to bail you out because you broke something.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd never remove the complete EGR system on a 6.7. The cooler isn't problematic (like the 6.4 coolers), so other than reducing a little weight and cleaning up the engine compartment, I see no real need. Plus, if you ever plan to return the truck to "stock" for warranty work or before trading it off, it takes 6+ hours to remove it and I'm sure twice as long to reinstall it, since you won't be able to find all the parts and if you do, you won't be able to remember where they all went.

You need to install a set of EGR block-off plates, which is a simple procedure (about 10 minutes). If you don't, the EGR valve will still be exposed to the soot from the motor and will eventually lock-down, which may or may not be covered by warranty.

You'd be surprised how problematic the coolers are. As for work , it's much more like 3-4 hours to remove.

truckmaniac

Reaction score
You'd be surprised how problematic the coolers are. As for work , it's much more like 3-4 hours to remove.

I don't personally know of anyone who's had cooler problems, but I'm sure I don't know nearly as many 6.7 owners as you. And yes, 3-4 hours is possible, for someone who's done a few.

I've done three full EGR deletes on friend's 6.7 trucks. The first one took almost 6 hours. The second one, just over 4 hours. The last one was right at 4 hours.

The biggest problem was getting all the air out of the cooling system.

If I'd had bigpowr's new Full EGR delete kit, I could have probably done the last one in under 4 hours, since the main plate has a "bleed" port to get air out of the cooling system.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't personally know of anyone who's had cooler problems, but I'm sure I don't know nearly as many 6.7 owners as you. And yes, 3-4 hours is possible, for someone who's done a few.

I've done three full EGR deletes on friend's 6.7 trucks. The first one took almost 6 hours. The second one, just over 4 hours. The last one was right at 4 hours.

The biggest problem was getting all the air out of the cooling system.

If I'd had bigpowr's new Full EGR delete kit, I could have probably done the last one in under 4 hours, since the main plate has a "bleed" port to get air out of the cooling system.

yeah im sure the first one can be tough and longer, if the truck has a good amount of miles on it. I recommend all my customers read instructions prior and spray break free on the exhaust side bolts prior to removal. and yes, the bleed port was built for necessity , as the coolant filling seems to take forever.

jcain

Reaction score
The egr delete and removal was a mere 2 hours the first go around.