Do it all tire recommendations

Goober

Reaction score
Look into the new Milestar Patagonia XT, the research I’ve found was these are great/ highly rated for snow, they look decent, not too aggressive. I’m about to purchase a set of 275/70-18’s, I’ve done a bunch of research for tires within the past few weeks, for the price.. I’ve decided on giving these a try.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
New development on my tire search. The in-laws tire shop that I get some good deals through has had issues with Cooper tires standing behind their warranty for them. They believe it to be something to do with not being a direct Cooper dealer and getting them through a distributor. I was told to essentially treat any Cooper tire or brand coming from their shop as coming without a warranty based on their recent experiences. That includes Coopers, Mickey Thompsons, Mastercrafts, and Hercules. Can't say I have had to use a tire warranty yet, but my luck would say the time I don't have it is when I'm going to need it.
They are a direct dealer for Goodyear and have had no issues with their warranty, which I find odd as Goodyear owns Cooper. They can also get me some decent deals there. They can also get a decent deal on Toyos without warranty issues. Other tires sound like they wouldn't be much of a deal due to not being a dealer or distributor but they can still get them. Best deals go on next month so I get a bit of extra time.
Current contemplations are:
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - excellent traction, 3PMSF but burn them off in 20K-30k miles
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar - current tire, could be better in snow and in mud but good in other areas
Toyo Open Country AT3 - may be similar to my current tire with lacking traction in snow and mud but good everywhere else?
Maxxis Razr AT - Haven't found a bad review, Aussies seem to love 'em, but not mainstream, technically a Chinese brand

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
New development on my tire search. The in-laws tire shop that I get some good deals through has had issues with Cooper tires standing behind their warranty for them. They believe it to be something to do with not being a direct Cooper dealer and getting them through a distributor. I was told to essentially treat any Cooper tire or brand coming from their shop as coming without a warranty based on their recent experiences. That includes Coopers, Mickey Thompsons, Mastercrafts, and Hercules. Can't say I have had to use a tire warranty yet, but my luck would say the time I don't have it is when I'm going to need it.
They are a direct dealer for Goodyear and have had no issues with their warranty, which I find odd as Goodyear owns Cooper. They can also get me some decent deals there. They can also get a decent deal on Toyos without warranty issues. Other tires sound like they wouldn't be much of a deal due to not being a dealer or distributor but they can still get them. Best deals go on next month so I get a bit of extra time.
Current contemplations are:
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - excellent traction, 3PMSF but burn them off in 20K-30k miles
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar - current tire, could be better in snow and in mud but good in other areas
Toyo Open Country AT3 - may be similar to my current tire with lacking traction in snow and mud but good everywhere else?
Maxxis Razr AT - Haven't found a bad review, Aussies seem to love 'em, but not mainstream, technically a Chinese brand
I have been around all those good year tires. I wouldnt waste the money.

Toyos would be your best bet.

If you're dead set against cooper only for that reason, id say you're crazy. I have managed fleets of trucks and switched them to mastercraft and have many family members that run cooper or mastercraft and zero issues. All truck tires. Not passenger cars. Did the inlaws say specifically the tires they have issues with?

6.7Bison

Reaction score
@lincolnlocker I won't say that I am dead set against Cooper or their sub brands. But essentially not coming with a warranty is a mark against them that make other tires look like a better deal. It is hard for me to think back to something that I have had to use the warranty on, but defects happen to any brand. I have no specifics on what brand, model, or application of tire, just the blanket statement of "Treat Cooper and their sub brands as if they don't have a warranty. We have had issues with getting them to back their warranty lately". If you have a cooper tire that you think would hands down be the best tire for what I have tried to describe I would certainly consider it.

The father-in-law mentioned he didn't like Mastercraft before the recent warranty issues as he didn't have good luck with them. He had an anecdote about them that I am taking at face value as a tale of oddity and caution but not severe enough nor enough information for me to swear off the brand. Didn't specify when it happened but I believe his story went something like this:
Farmer bought 2 new tires (model never specified) for the rear of his truck as he had two that had worn but two with decent tread still. (As farmers will do). Tires were correct size and load rating, balanced, inflated to door frame pressures (as is required by some of these shops), and other normal procedures for any tire installation as he had been doing for years. Customer was sent on his way. Customer came back saying he couldn't explain it but the ride got way worse and insisted the father in law test drive it. Father in law described the ride to be similar to as if he were driving on marshmallows instead of tires. Not that the ride was smooth, but like the sidewall had so much give that corners we unnerving and he wasn't sure how the bead stayed on the rim. Brought it back, tried some different tire pressures to no change. Finally called up Mastercraft to see about a warranty claim. Mastercraft pushed back and told him the tires needed to be installed on the front of the truck instead of the rear. Fought with them over it a bit but got nowhere. Ended up giving it a try and the problem seemed to go away. Farmer was happy enough and kept the tires on the front but it never sat right with the father-in-law.

BrewTown

Reaction score
@lincolnlocker I won't say that I am dead set against Cooper or their sub brands. But essentially not coming with a warranty is a mark against them that make other tires look like a better deal. It is hard for me to think back to something that I have had to use the warranty on, but defects happen to any brand. I have no specifics on what brand, model, or application of tire, just the blanket statement of "Treat Cooper and their sub brands as if they don't have a warranty. We have had issues with getting them to back their warranty lately". If you have a cooper tire that you think would hands down be the best tire for what I have tried to describe I would certainly consider it.

The father-in-law mentioned he didn't like Mastercraft before the recent warranty issues as he didn't have good luck with them. He had an anecdote about them that I am taking at face value as a tale of oddity and caution but not severe enough nor enough information for me to swear off the brand. Didn't specify when it happened but I believe his story went something like this:
Farmer bought 2 new tires (model never specified) for the rear of his truck as he had two that had worn but two with decent tread still. (As farmers will do). Tires were correct size and load rating, balanced, inflated to door frame pressures (as is required by some of these shops), and other normal procedures for any tire installation as he had been doing for years. Customer was sent on his way. Customer came back saying he couldn't explain it but the ride got way worse and insisted the father in law test drive it. Father in law described the ride to be similar to as if he were driving on marshmallows instead of tires. Not that the ride was smooth, but like the sidewall had so much give that corners we unnerving and he wasn't sure how the bead stayed on the rim. Brought it back, tried some different tire pressures to no change. Finally called up Mastercraft to see about a warranty claim. Mastercraft pushed back and told him the tires needed to be installed on the front of the truck instead of the rear. Fought with them over it a bit but got nowhere. Ended up giving it a try and the problem seemed to go away. Farmer was happy enough and kept the tires on the front but it never sat right with the father-in-law.
I had a similar experience with the Goodyears I mentioned earlier. I felt like I was driving a boat, plenty of lateral movement. It's caused by aggressive treads, with softer material. I could move each lug around with my thumb. As the tires wear, the height of the lugs get shorter and stability improves. Those lasted 22-30K miles and were worn beyond legal.
I chalk that story up to aggressive tires. My general findings are that 'ribbed' (mind out of the gutter) tread patterns have a more stable ride, while really aggressive tires trade on road stability for off road traction and mud clean out.
I have had great luck with both Goodyear and Cooper tires holding air. I had the best luck with Goodyear trailer tires, as they last and don't blowout like the cheap China crap. Not sure if Cooper makes trailer tires, probably...

RascalMafia

#hashtag
Super Mod
Reaction score
Goodyears are garbage, passenger car and light truck. I will never own another vehicle for more than a day with Goodyears. Had 6 different sets across 6 different vehicles and they ALL were shit. Broken belts (that Goodyear wouldn't stand behind), road noise, traction issues on sports cars, uneven wear patterns even though alignment checks out. These were all brand new vehicles.

Had good luck with Toyos, have you looked into Nitto, specifically Ridge Grapplers?

6.7Bison

Reaction score
@RascalMafia I kept running into reviews of the Ridge Grapplers being unsatisfactory in winter and wet conditions. Most people tried to steer towards the Exo grapplers for those climates. The Exos were apparently loud and heavy. Not sure I got a good idea on how they wear either. Neither tire ended up being too high in my considerations. Do you have any differing experiences?

I am gathering a general consensus here of not being happy with Goodyear tires ranging from unimpressed with a certain aspect of the tires I have brought up (wear, traction, noise) to large quality concerns.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I like Goodyear, I've had excellent luck with them.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Toyo at2's made 60k on my excursion, decent in snow, meh in mud, but generally good enough. No idea how the newer versions hold up.
Definitely check the weight rating/recommended inflation psi, as you used to be able to get the same sizes in different weight capacities.
I went with a 305ish/20, and I will probably buy another set for this truck.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Goodyears are always a crap shoot. Every time I buy a set I say never again. But then afraid to go with something unknown.

I currently have what you are calling the wrangler allterrain with Kevlar. They used to be just the wrangler and before that they were the comfort pro or quiet pro or something like that.
gotta say, they are awesome tires. on my 2014 I towed heavy, plowed snow. Just took across country on vacation. Nice ride, quiet, good traction. Good even wear.
My son has them on his excursion he loves them. 2nd set now.
We don't do deep snow really, or deep mud. I doubt they would be good at that.

My other son has the duratracs on his excursion and he loves them, but they are noisey and they look like they are wearing fast, could be an illusion though, won't know till the end.

Had a set of wrangler RT/s (I think) before these All terrains, they were horrible. Would not stay balanced, wore funny. Drove and rode horrible. I am not one to give up easy when they cost so much but they came off before they were worn out.

Had an old set of mastercrafts at2's few years back on my 1995. They were awesome, but old. We were headed cross country and I wanted newer tires in fear the 12 year old sidewalls were not dependable. The new mastercrafts at2's were garbage. Not the same tire at all.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Thats crazy. But it happens. Cooper rugged treck(i have now) and mastercraft cxt are similar. And both have very stiff side walls. I have no problem hauling twenty 900lb round bales on my brothers gooseneck with only 45 psi of air in the rear tires with barely a mushroom on the bottom. At most, i run 50psi In the rears. But then again, they are F range "commercial" tread.

I have had the cxts last 50k ish miles on my personal truck. The rugged trecks have about 40k on them and they are about 1/3 tread life left now.

@RascalMafia I kept running into reviews of the Ridge Grapplers being unsatisfactory in winter and wet conditions. Most people tried to steer towards the Exo grapplers for those climates. The Exos were apparently loud and heavy. Not sure I got a good idea on how they wear either. Neither tire ended up being too high in my considerations. Do you have any differing experiences?

I am gathering a general consensus here of not being happy with Goodyear tires ranging from unimpressed with a certain aspect of the tires I have brought up (wear, traction, noise) to large quality concerns.
Thats odd. Everyone i know with ridge grapplers, love them in winter conditions.

RascalMafia

#hashtag
Super Mod
Reaction score

I'd rather have wooden wagon wheels than Goodyears, that's how much I despise the brand; all based on personal experience.

My neighbor has Ridge Grapplers on his F250 and loves them. He had Courser MTs before. We live in middle GA, so can't provide much feedback on cold weather. If Nitto made anything for 16.5 wheels, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set.

I had Terra Grapplers on my 700whp Cummins when I lived in north central Indiana. They handled snow just fine and also lasted a really long time considering the number of rolling burnouts I put them through. I'd buy those again in a heartbeat for road use.

Had Nitto drag radials on my Z06, they were a great street / drag tire...but couldn't touch a Mickey Thompson or Hoosier DR. Of course the MTs lasted 1/3 of the life, but not really relevant to this discussion other than no bad experiences with Nitto.

My F350 has 37" Toyo ATs. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just going back to 16.5 Weld Wheels / Swampers or BFG Bajas.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
It is funny who owns and makes what now.

In addition to Avon, Cooper Tire manufactures tires under the associated brand names Dean, Mastercraft, Mickey Thompson, Roadmaster, and Starfire.[20] Cooper Tire formerly manufactured all tires sold under the Sears Guardsman brand at Sears, Roebuck & Co. stores. Cooper manufactures tires for Discount Tire Company under the Arizonian brand name, and Futura Tires for Pep Boys. Cooper Tire also manufactures Hercules branded tires in Findlay, Ohio. Cooper tires can be purchased at many tire retailers, like Tire Discounters, Pep Boys, Discount Tire, and more.

In February 2021, Goodyear announced that it will acquire the Cooper Tire & Rubber Company for $2.5 billion. The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2021

Michelin acquired the recently merged tyre and rubber manufacturing divisions of the American firms B.F. Goodrich Company (founded in 1870) and Uniroyal, Inc. (founded in 1892 as the United States Rubber

3brorce

Reaction score
I most likely wont own Ridge Grapplers again. They are wearing well but get horse traction when they just smell a wet road. They are wearing well though but are seeming to crack and get uneven looking fast. I have 34k miles on them now and the wet traction is getting way worse. I have them aired way down to try and get traction, maybe I should try airing them back up just to see. I think that is why they are wearing well though because I have them aired down. I run under 50psi in them unloaded. We have never had good luck with goodyears on anything whether it be machinery, semis or vehicles but then again havent ran goodyear in a long time due to never having luck with them but I cant see the situation getting better ha.

J98

Reaction score
I most likely wont own Ridge Grapplers again. They are wearing well but get horse traction when they just smell a wet road. They are wearing well though but are seeming to crack and get uneven looking fast. I have 34k miles on them now and the wet traction is getting way worse. I have them aired way down to try and get traction, maybe I should try airing them back up just to see. I think that is why they are wearing well though because I have them aired down. I run under 50psi in them unloaded. We have never had good luck with goodyears on anything whether it be machinery, semis or vehicles but then again havent ran goodyear in a long time due to never having luck with them but I cant see the situation getting better ha.
Haven't seen you here in awhile.

Latest posts

Members online