Does a good TC help keep trans temps down?

Freightshaker

Reaction score
I went with them because the miles and condition of transmission were unknown. Dealer told previous owner it was done. Fluid looked good it was just peeing out of pump seal though. I put a racer x seal in it and that TC. Tech support and customer service for both companies was astounding. It was a cost effective fix with decent upgrade for not much money. I don't have a temp Gage yet so I can't tell you if that helped. I have a good amount of miles and towing on it without a new transmission though.

golfer

Reaction score
I don't have data or links but in theory I would believe a more efficient TC would help.

I might add my 2c here...

We don't build converters here...but (in my experience) a more efficient converter is a pretty subjective term...

more efficient...might not mean the same thing to all power levels/applications.

some folks...might think a 'tight converter' that locks up soon, via either tuning (chip programming) or stall speed is an efficient converter...

but, if this vehicle had a larger turbocharger (or modified tuning, or injectors).....you would not want to drive/tow with a 'tight' converter, since that turbo would take soooo long to spool... (so you either bought the wrong turbo, or the wrong stall speed converter for your application)

same turbo setup with a loose (inefficient?) converter ;) could 'flash' up the rpm, build boost, and thennnn lock up...transferring (already produced) power through the transmission...as opposed to (with a tight converter)...moving the entire weight of the vehicle + whatever's in tow to build sufficient engine rpm to produce the boost.

a loose(r) converter makes a large(ish) turbo verrrry easy to drive (with appropriate tuning, fueling/timing/ICP/shift points, etc)..but a loose(r) converter would build heat more quickly since the fluid coupling inside the converter would be being more heavily relied on to transfer the power.

we see a LOT of trucks come in with "built" transmissions and 'triple this/that' billet converters that don't run WAF until we swap the converter back UP to near stock stall, or even higher depending on turbo/inj/application.

unfortunately...a lot of really well intentioned & experienced transmission shops...don't fully understand the 'performance' nature of a diesel..they think diesel = low rpm towing...and install dramatically LOWER stall "efficient" converters in truck after truck...

however...with even modest turbo &/or fueling upgrades...this is, basically a big block V8 with a turbo...

every upgrade should be considered by application..

what works right for someone else...may not work WAF for you...even with the exact same peripheral upgrades...if the usage isn't the same.

just some food for thought... (since this was posted in the 7.3L ENGINE upgrades & aftermarket section)

always-strokin

Reaction score
Any time a converter is unlocked under a load is when it will generate the most heat.

And since I"m running excellent tuning, the tranny is locked a lot more than it was stock so I'm sure that helped trans temps quite a bit too.

Thanks Golfer, interesting information.

I'm still waiting on a response from Dacco to see more info on this TC.

psduser1

Reaction score
Torque multiplier is a more accurate term for a torque converter.
The multiplication occurs at varying rates based on engine speed and load, which is why, as golfer said, a higher or lower stall speed may make a big difference in how your power makes its way thru the powertrain to the ground. If your racing, generally higher stall speeds are more effective. Thus allows you to bring engine rpms into a more efficient range to launch from the line, at the cost of higher transmission fluid temps. Not such a big deal here, because you only hold the truck at or near stall speed for a few seconds.
On a dd, or tow pig, the load is more constant, and prolonged high temps will, obviously, destroy your transmission! Therefore a lower stall speed is desireable, because you are trying to lock the torque convertor sooner. To low of a stall speed will simply force the engine to work outside its power range, which leads to slower spoolup and reduced efficiency.
This is a balancing act that a good tranny builder faces!

Hope this makes sense!

always-strokin

Reaction score
Probably who you had tune your trans. Beans locks second without a doubt. Maybe the top of first, but I'm not sure.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Any tunes will lock it if you go WOT in 2nd gear. Cruising in 2nd, pin it, and BAAAM, converter locks. Bs'ing along and the converter locks at 36mph where the factory program dictates it to. Ive not had a program that just locked the.converter as its whole basis for existing. I have however noticed the converter locking quickly after the shift from 2-3 and STAYING locked for longer.

Latest posts

Members online