Does powder coated wheels pit

wes1227

Reaction score
Question is do powder coated wheels pit from brake dust. I'm considering purchasing new wheels but I want something that doesn't pit...either polished aluminum or something else

Enoch

Reaction score
If you're one to just run your car/truck through a car wash and keep going, then expect pitting on just about anything you get.

Whatever you get if you keep them clean and even waxed almost anything will last.
Powder coat will be more durable, but when you get a rock chip they are pretty deep due to how thick powder coating is.
Also they too will eventually pit as well if not taken care of.
Get anything polished with a clear coat, over time they will eventually separate from in between the clear and the polished aluminum.
Polished wheels with no coating are a pain to deal with, but can usually always be polished back out if neglected.

Keep the wheels clean and free of caked on brake dust and anything will last for a pretty long time.

BlAcKeNeD

Reaction score
Powdercoated wheels will scratch... Not into the metal itself but on top of the coating... The coating itself is also very prone to discoloration due to chemicals... Just my .02...

wes1227

Reaction score
Back in the day I had an 04 f250 with weld racing all aluminum wheels but does anybody make a good looking polished aluminum wheel?

truckman1974

Reaction score
Who's got time to polish a wheel? I want something that's the lowest maintenance as possible. I asked the same question about pitting and wondering about powder coat durability. I will know in a few years how it holds up. My wheels are powdercoated to match the truck. At least (or hopefully, should I say) if they mess up you can just have the re-coated and they'll be new all over again, unless they're damaged down into the metal. We'll see...

57.jpg

5744.jpg

573.jpg

Last edited:

Extended Power

Reaction score
We had my wife's Denali's stock rims de-chromed, sandblasted, and then powder coated...they didn't make one winter before they started to peel.
And for what it cost to have all the work done, we could have bought a brand new set of rims.

truckman1974

Reaction score
The guy I bought the truck from had these done on my truck. He said he thinks it was about $200 to have them done. It included blasting them and coating them....doesn't see too expensive. Maybe the de-chroming is what cost you so much?

TheRobenator

Reaction score
I also thought about powdercoating my rims, but I decided to just go with a polished wheel since I have chrome. So I bought a set of Americanforce wheels and all the people who I have talked to said it really depends on who powders them and how much upkeep you do to them. My main concern was getting rid of scratches, so I decided to just keep them polished so I could polish away scratches.

truckman1974

Reaction score
I also thought about powdercoating my rims, but I decided to just go with a polished wheel since I have chrome. So I bought a set of Americanforce wheels and all the people who I have talked to said it really depends on who powders them and how much upkeep you do to them. My main concern was getting rid of scratches, so I decided to just keep them polished so I could polish away scratches.

I got my eye on some American Force wheels too........I'm wondering though......how often do you REALLY need to polish them to keep them looking like "new" condition? Is it possible to keep them in like new condition or will they eventually haze over and/or pit and peel? What do you think?

TheRobenator

Reaction score
I got my eye on some American Force wheels too........I'm wondering though......how often do you REALLY need to polish them to keep them looking like "new" condition? Is it possible to keep them in like new condition or will they eventually haze over and/or pit and peel? What do you think?

Well they will never peel or pit since they are literally mirror polished solid blanks of aluminum. But I have had mine on the road now for about 3 weeks and I wipe them off with a very fine micro-towel and it barely has any scratches and they shine up like new. They probably need to be polished every 4-5 months since the only thing that will make them haze is the dirt getting trapped in the small scratches on the rim and you polish it to get rid of those scratches that dirt can get lodged into. I have been through many rims and these are by far the best quality rim I have owned. And the customer service through the company is the best I have ever had!

My shop is a dealer for them, we can get you them 10-15% lower then anyone else if you are wanting a set.

Plus American Force will guarantee the wheel for life, so I'd say that is a pretty dang good warranty!

truckman1974

Reaction score
Well they will never peel or pit since they are literally mirror polished solid blanks of aluminum. But I have had mine on the road now for about 3 weeks and I wipe them off with a very fine micro-towel and it barely has any scratches and they shine up like new. They probably need to be polished every 4-5 months since the only thing that will make them haze is the dirt getting trapped in the small scratches on the rim and you polish it to get rid of those scratches that dirt can get lodged into. I have been through many rims and these are by far the best quality rim I have owned. And the customer service through the company is the best I have ever had!

My shop is a dealer for them, we can get you them 10-15% lower then anyone else if you are wanting a set.

Plus American Force will guarantee the wheel for life, so I'd say that is a pretty dang good warranty!

I'm all about a discount! There's several different ones I like, but just as an example, let's say the 22x12 Evades (the Face Plate ones). How much would a set of 4 of those run, with the discount (plus American Force offers military discount as well so maybe you could discount them even further if they knew you were ordering them for a military member) shipped to Prairieville, La 70769? You threw out your line and now I'm nibbling! :)

There's a few others I like as well, both face plate editions and not....let's use that one for an example and see what it looks like and take it from there.....I'm guessing you can get tires as well?

TheRobenator

Reaction score
I'm all about a discount! There's several different ones I like, but just as an example, let's say the 22x12 Evades (the Face Plate ones). How much would a set of 4 of those run, with the discount (plus American Force offers military discount as well so maybe you could discount them even further if they knew you were ordering them for a military member) shipped to Prairieville, La 70769? You threw out your line and now I'm nibbling! :)

There's a few others I like as well, both face plate editions and not....let's use that one for an example and see what it looks like and take it from there.....I'm guessing you can get tires as well?

Sent you a pm

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.