Doing it Gangsta

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Are the lifters just the same size (width and height) or the exact same lifter is used in both?

What are the spec's on the cam you will be using? Will it have similar lift and duration as a 6.0 cam or will it be more aggressive?

For all that are questioning the strength of the lifters on this application or if they have been chosen correctly for a Daily Driver, Then answer me this....

A 6.0 and a 7.3 Lifter is the same size.

A 6.0 runs 2 springs at 125# of seat pressure a piece, so 2(125#)=250# ------- These are STOCK springs.

So if a 6.0 can handle that much seat pressure and turn 4500rpms, then why cant a 7.3 with the same size lifter handle 175# of seat pressure and turn 4000rpms?

these figures are rough numbers but are really really close to specs.

TARM

Reaction score
ee0482fc.jpg

Here you go. This is where the measurements of the springs come into play. The blue thing you see in the head is a valve spring height micrometer. It accurately measures the distance between the valve spring seat and retainer.

And as for the seat pressures. They come from a chart that Doug has. Like he told me, He could buy a digital spring tester but since there is already data on the springs that he has chosen as well as the stock 7.3 springs there is no need to do it again.

OK that is what I was hoping so that puts the 175 in line but I question the numbers for the 910 and stock as I very much doubt that Comp cams or ford/IH is putting out numbers that are that far off. Not saying its not possible just it seems very unlikely. @ 1.76" which is the final installed height of a 7.3 valve spring Comp cams lists tension@ 130 lb @ 1.75 134lb

That is a far cry from 93lb. Maybe his numbers came off used springs or ones where no accounting for wear with shims had been done?

I hope you understand this has nothing to do with the quality of the spring being offered as it looks like a very nice spring that with no need to do any machining to install has a good chance of being very popular.

juniort444e

Reaction score
It will be nice to see how these perform on my build. Hoping to see chop's build first and how he likes it, but im still leaning this route strongly.

TARM

Reaction score
It is always a good thing to have more choices for quailty options available to the builder.

Homesteader

Reaction score
How would 160 seat Beehives be on stock valve train,such as rocker,valves and lifters? I will be up grading push rods to Smiths Bro.

Homesteader

Reaction score
I sent my heads to Doug at GoGo Diesel to get some work done to them and he has been working on some new parts for the 7.3 world. Here they are.

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

Stock is on left and the new ones are on the right.
Stock seat pressure is 72lbs and the new ones raise it to 175lbs
FWIW, comp 910s are 92lbs

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

Stock on left new on right installed in heads

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

Stock is on the right and the new ones are the left. These are the locks that keep the valve springs on the valve stem.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

Stock on right new on left.
stock is 11/32'' New one are 7/16'' (aka Louisiville Sluggers)
FWIW most aftermarket ones are 3/8''

Enjoy and if anyone is interested in some get up with PTP and they can get you hooked up.

Why does my locks look different?

29fb5e72.jpg

621f2c62.jpg

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
That there is an example of how not to post on PSA. Need to wash my eyeballs out now...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.