Donaldson

doo dah

Reaction score
So after taking the lift off and being somewhat of a sleeper in stock trim I decided straight pipe was too loud and pulling the 5ver I took the lift off for would be drone city so on went a 45" Donaldson. $68 from Ryder and got it next day. Sounds good outside and as quiet (almost) as factory inside. EGTs seem up a bit and boost comes on a hair quicker so all in all I'm happy. I could only get video/sound from the tailpipe but I'll try to get a passing shot when I get someone to hold the phone for me when I drive by.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I currently have this part number. M085171. I like it. Its quiet. What I notice is when loaded and 15-20 psi of boost, I get an annoying exhaust whistle. Similar to what the tuner cars did for a while with whistling tips and such. I'd be interested in seeing if you notice the same with that muffler. I believe what causes it in mine, is at the inlet they have an expansion section. Which then goes to the muffling section. Did yours have an open area before the muffler section ? I believe they do it to help with drone.

EDIT: yours is a 5" mine is probably the 4" equivalent

Last edited:

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I've got a 40" on mine with a 17" FTE resonator in front of it. Sounds stock! Other than I have the same whistle mentioned above.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 134

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Did your 40" have that chamber before the muffler section? Thr whistle became significantly more pronounced with the fte resonator in front. Which I thought was the sole cause, until after I removed the fte and found it was still there. Just less obnoxious. The combo sure takes care of the drone though.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Yes it does. I have the same muffler you do. I thought the FTE was the cause also! I love how quiet the ride is, so the little whistle don't bother me too much lol

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Yea I agree. The combo is super quiet like stock. I think I'm going to fill the expansion section and put my fte back in place. Definitely a good drone killer. Sorry to muck up your thread OP, but it's not often discussed like this !

doo dah

Reaction score
I'll be pulling the fiver on Saturday and will report back. All I hear int he cab is the turbo whistle, sounds cool.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Hopefully that's all you hear. With my setup there was two distinct sounds. 38R compressor up front, and a different whistle/ shriek from the tail pipe that started at around 15 psi of boost. Which would relate to the cfm of the exhaust flow.

I just replaced the 38R with a s366sxe, and the tailpipe whistle isn't as prominent. But it's still there. And I can assure you I'm not confusing it's sound with the sound the turbine side generates in the exhaust note.

doo dah

Reaction score
I currently have this part number. M085171. I like it. Its quiet. What I notice is when loaded and 15-20 psi of boost, I get an annoying exhaust whistle. Similar to what the tuner cars did for a while with whistling tips and such. I'd be interested in seeing if you notice the same with that muffler. I believe what causes it in mine, is at the inlet they have an expansion section. Which then goes to the muffling section. Did yours have an open area before the muffler section ? I believe they do it to help with drone.

EDIT: yours is a 5" mine is probably the 4" equivalent

Haven't noticed a whistle other than the turbo, the only thing I can compare the sound too is maybe a hollering pissed off woman at full throttle. Otherwise it sounds like a delivery truck. The inlet of this one had a conical mesh, like someone shoved a funnel in it. Not sure what it does but it doesn't cut any off the turbo noise at the tail pipe. I'm not sure what turbo Industrial uses for its kit, all I know is it is 63/68/14 so maybe an S300?

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
I recently installed this muffler on our 6.4 when I went to 5" from a 4" flopro with muffler. I absolutely LOVE it now!!

With the 4" it sounded mean when getting into the throttle but was super obnoxious at idle with the high pitched whistle. Now with the 5" and the M100465, it's quieter in the cab at highway speeds, the whistle is very subtle at idle and quieter, and it's aggressive under throttle. I'm over the loud and obnoxious days.

I didn't notice any change in egts at all. Well worth the money in my opinion. Now if I can get something similar for the 7.3 so it has flow and be quiet I'll have it made!

doo dah

Reaction score
Just got back bringing the new fiver home on a 200 mile trip. Much quieter in the cab than straight pipe (duh) and even with RPMs at 2k or higher at times the whistle of the turbo was louder than the exhaust. I have S&B without the lid on it, going to have to put the lid on when I pull the fiver, damn near drove me nuts with pulling 6lbs minimum boost the whole trip. Still happy I did it and EGTs were about the same as when I pulled my TT that weighs 4k pounds less with the straight pipe.

Latest posts

Members online