DP F5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

389sixpack

Reaction score
... who's running dp tunes and are their any complaints w/ the F5 chip?

Have you never been on a Powerstroke forum?
A few...

Chip is proprietary and can only use DP tunes.
And this is a problem? I have 12 Live Tunes on my F5 for different apps - not seeing big problem with that.

Cable connecting switch to chip doesn't have a locking mechanism which can fall out causing truck to die and a side of the road search for the issue.
No chips and cables have locks?? I have run an F5 for over 100K miles and never had a disconnect - awh, but I installed it properly - big difference there. If the switch doesn't light up, it's not connected - DUH :doh:

Switching tunes under load will cause truck to stall.
Switch any chip under full load is asking for trouble. Actually the instructions that come with the F5 state "Do Not Shift Under Load"

Some tuning maps have been questioned as to whether or not they are safe.
Yep, the same dumba$$ person can keep posting those 4 to 5 year old maps and claiming every tune is bad, it a free country, but the continuation throwing of Bull$hit is still Bull$hit. were there a few bad tunes from corrupt files 4-5 years ago - yep. Were they corrected? Yep. Are there anymore of those old tunes still out there - possible. I don't know about everyone else, but I mod a lot and my tunes get updated every 6 months or so. My tunes are current and good. If you buy a used F5, send it is and have fresh tunes loaded.

This post may result in me being contacted by DP's attorney.
And that comment is a crock of $hit and you know it!!

And OP, I also have a Sniper chip and TS chip, and still run the F5 as my DD chip. 100K on 80E tune and NADA problems..... :doh:

907DAVE

Reaction score
Why the *** does anyone need 12 different programs?

Are the programs that bad that one cannot be used for a variety of situations.....?

Whats so hard about having one program that does everything.....like a stock truck?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Why the *** does anyone need 12 different programs?

Are the programs that bad that one cannot be used for a variety of situations.....?

Whats so hard about having one program that does everything.....like a stock truck?

It's just nice to have options. Maybe a person likes driving in 60e through town, and 80e on the highway. That same person may also want the 1100rpm high idle tune for cold winters. They probably also may tow a few different things that weigh different weights. So having both 20t and 40t tunes may be the smartest way to go. I'm sure that same person also wants a performance/race tune, so they will probably at least get the 120r tune as well. Oh yeah, and I'm sure we all agree it is nice not having to shut your truck off in the drive thru, so that drive thru tune would come in handy.

I just listed 7 tunes that most people would enjoy having. With a TS chip you are limited to 6 tunes. Some guys use their trucks for a lot of different things, and having choices is always nice.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I agree, if you have 6 positions....you have to have a program to fill them.

Even though a good daily program could be used to do everything, and maybe a drag file for racing.....but that should cover everything.

Twelve....please!

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

Even though a good daily program could be used to do everything, and maybe a drag file for racing.....but that should cover everything.

Twelve....please!

I agree. I have 3 tunes, and I am satisfied. But I'm sure some guys are very picky with how much power they want and when.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score

Twelve....please!

:whs: x2

Big Bore

Reaction score
And this is a problem? I have 12 Live Tunes on my F5 for different apps - not seeing big problem with that.

If you had one good one you wouldn't need 12. Seriously, do you like have a tune for left hand turns, right hand turns, reverse, rainy weather...man Jody must LOVE you. LOL

No chips and cables have locks??
Really? They don't? I can barely get my TS chip off the cable without being afraid I'm going to break something. Not to mention, every damn connector on my freakin truck has a locking connector including every aftermarket part on the truck that has power going to it, and also every factory connector I have ever seen on any car I've worked on that was made since the 70's, because engineers and apparently everyone except the people who make DP hardware know that road vibration WILL cause connections to come loose. Even computors have locking connectors. I mean they must have had to look really hard just to find a connector that didn't lock
I have run an F5 for over 100K miles and never had a disconnect - awh, but I installed it properly - big difference there. If the switch doesn't light up, it's not connected - DUH :doh:
Yea, mine was connected too, it even lit up an all that fancy stuff and low an behold the truck started!!!! It also fell out of the switch twice (there is nothing on the connector to prevent that) and once the cable got disconnected from the chip while I was messing around with something else near the PCM. That will never happen with a TS. I guess you must have used the cable maintenance and retention kit mentioned previously.

Switch any chip under full load is asking for trouble.
I have switched my TS back and forth several times in a row just see if it would even hiccup, it won't.

Actually the instructions that come with the F5 state "Do Not Shift Under Load"
And? That is simply admitting the chip isn't well made. Nothing like coming up to that grade pulling a trailer and having to pull over and get out a flow chart to figure out which of those 12 tunes you should be in right? But I digress, since I only need one tune for everything now, and I guarantee my driving conditions vary way more than most people ever thought of. And when I did have an F5 it didn't really matter which tune I was in, none of them did very well pulling trailers up the grades here.

Yep, the same dumba$$ person can keep posting those 4 to 5 year old maps and claiming every tune is bad, it a free country, but the continuation throwing of Bull$hit is still Bull$hit.
Umm, there have been a LOT more than just that one person with the charts questioning the safety.

And that comment is a crock of $hit and you know it!!
Really? No one has ever been contacted by DP's attorney for things they've written on the internet about them?

average

Reaction score
Can't... even.. read.. thread...

Retard-Arguing.jpg

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Keep this thread on track fellas. State your experience and move on. Don't argue about someone else's experience. Don't post experiences or info via calling other members names and such. Some of these threads that are supposed to be tech threads have been getting out of hand lately and we're gonna start cracking down.

It appears some in this thread have stated their experience in this thread (more than once) and are not moving on. Its about to get locked and or offending person will get a vacation. Enough of the popcorn smileys and bs from the cheerleaders as well.

This is not AWOL. Make a post about your experience (good or bad) and move on.

7.3 MACHINE

Reaction score
I've been running dp tuner f5 with 4" tb mbrp sr8 pipe and i absolutely love it, it gives the truck the power that it should have from the factory.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Well. Chips in the truck and have no complaints what so ever. And just because im one to question everything I changed tunes driving down the freeway and nothing happened. Cycled my hids while driving, while stopped in park an stopped in gear and nothing happened. Seems like im not affected by some of the issues others have had. And after speaking with james and jody I can happily say im very pleased with their service and time they took to answer my barrage of questions.

Thanks everyone for your input and answers.

Mods you can lock this one down. The Q&A session is over.

Fat fingered from the phone-Corey

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Well. Chips in the truck and have no complaints what so ever. And just because im one to question everything I changed tunes driving down the freeway and nothing happened. Cycled my hids while driving, while stopped in park an stopped in gear and nothing happened. Seems like im not affected by some of the issues others have had. And after speaking with james and jody I can happily say im very pleased with their service and time they took to answer my barrage of questions.

Glad you are happy with it man. You will really keep enjoying the extra power.

I'm sure Jody will always help you if you have any issues too.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score

Closed @ OP request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.