DPF On Tuning.....Suggestions?

Notorious6.0

Reaction score
Looking to give my 2012 stroke a little more get up n go. Not looking to delete, so looking for suggestions on the best route to go to make the most power without deleting. Thinking of doing filter back exhaust, (4 or 5 inch? What brand?), S&B intake, and tuner. Which tuner do y'all suggest? H&S? SCT? Banks? Does Spartan have filter on tuning? Thanks all!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Filter back will do nothing but looks. IMHO the dual tips are ugly so it's worth it. Depending on which one you get, often they are non-upgradeable to a delete and you just start over.

If'n you aren't going to delete, just stick with the canned H&S tunes. Good for 50hp (on the dyno) and 1mpg.

I tried the KEM Green tunes and had to take it off due to so many problems. First try bricked the Minimax. KEM said it wasn't their fault/problem and would only send another card (H&S took care of me.) It had horrible turbo oscillation under light loads. Crazy trans tuning, very hard, missed shifts, flairs, just about undriveable and I really thought it would break the truck it was so harsh. Not to mention, they were claiming 500RWHP and when I dynoed the KEM tunes they were weaker than the stock H&S everywhere but a little bit of torque in one small spot. Fuel mileage on the lie-o-meter was great, but a hand calculation revealed that the KEM tunes did worse than the canned H&S.

For me, it was a waste of time and $400 ($300 for the tune and $100 for the dyno.) The KEM tunes are NON refundable and NON transferable. Once you buy it, you've spent your $. Regardless of if it works or not.

I think most everyone who is new to Ford/6.7/Diesel wants to keep the truck w/ the DPF.
Most everyone who has experience with the 6.4 or prior models wants to delete the truck...
delete pros: better power, better mpg, better for the engine, sounds a lot meaner,
delete cons: it's a warranty voider, it will fail an emission test, louder, black smoke

IMHO you should get a minimax and tune it, drive it for a while, eventually you'll want to delete and you need the MM anyway to do that. One thing to consider though is that a Street Tuner is easy to buy (can't delete) and the Race Tuners are getting harder and harder to get and they are usually pretty pricy. So if you are satisfied with what you can do with the DPF on stuff a Street Tuner is easy to find.

Last edited:

stevens6.7

Reaction score
Filter back will do nothing but looks. IMHO the dual tips are ugly so it's worth it. Depending on which one you get, often they are non-upgradeable to a delete and you just start over.

If'n you aren't going to delete, just stick with the canned H&S tunes. Good for 50hp (on the dyno) and 1mpg.

I tried the KEM Green tunes and had to take it off due to so many problems. First try bricked the Minimax. KEM said it wasn't their fault/problem and would only send another card (H&S took care of me.) It had horrible turbo oscillation under light loads. Crazy trans tuning, very hard, missed shifts, flairs, just about undriveable and I really thought it would break the truck it was so harsh. Not to mention, they were claiming 500RWHP and when I dynoed the KEM tunes they were weaker than the stock H&S everywhere but a little bit of torque in one small spot. Fuel mileage on the lie-o-meter was great, but a hand calculation revealed that the KEM tunes did worse than the canned H&S.

For me, it was a waste of time and $400 ($300 for the tune and $100 for the dyno.) The KEM tunes are NON refundable and NON transferable. Once you buy it, you've spent your $. Regardless of if it works or not.

I think most everyone who is new to Ford/6.7/Diesel wants to keep the truck w/ the DPF.
Most everyone who has experience with the 6.4 or prior models wants to delete the truck...
delete pros: better power, better mpg, better for the engine, sounds a lot meaner,
delete cons: it's a warranty voider, it will fail an emission test, louder, black smoke

IMHO you should get a minimax and tune it, drive it for a while, eventually you'll want to delete and you need the MM anyway to do that. One thing to consider though is that a Street Tuner is easy to buy (can't delete) and the Race Tuners are getting harder and harder to get and they are usually pretty pricy. So if you are satisfied with what you can do with the DPF on stuff a Street Tuner is easy to find.

I decided to go full delete only because I have read enough on here that keeping the DPF will possibly eventually led to turbo failure due to regens. Maybe I understood that part incorrect.

I haven't installed the parts yet because I am worried about my warranty because this is my first diesel and don't know anything about basic maintenance. Still looking for a good thread on when to change fuel filters, etc.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score

Dude.. have you never heard of a race pipe? I always run custom Filter Backs with race pipes..

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I've never seen a DPF back exhaust that can't be used with a delete pipe. Race pipes are designed to fit factory exhaust as well as aftermarket DPF backs. And a MM won't void your warranty unless you have a strict dealer and they see it on the truck. And you can't trace it once it's back to stock.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
The MBRP 5" SS DPF back is not upgradeable.
I know because I own one.
I spoke directly to MBRP on this and was informed that there is NO upgrade path.
So there you have it, directly from the manufacturer.

Started over with a aFe 5" and couldn't be happier with it.

Both from PTP who has been great to deal with.

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
It bolts up to the factory exhaust... All you had to do was buy a delete pipe for the factory exhaust and it would have bolted right up.

Reaction score
My suggestion is buy a race minimax, run the dpf on tunes, install a afe or s&b filter and a flo-pro dpf back exhaust and enjoy till you get bored. Then since you already purchased the race tuner all you have to do is add in the flo-pro dpf delete pipe to you flo-pro dpf back tailpipe. And I would put h&s egr block off plates when you delete it.

We keep everything you need in stock and would love to help you out when your ready, you can call the shop at 217-691-1909 or visit www.midwestdieselauto.com.

Reaction score
So you put an H&S minimal on the 6.7 and turn it back to stock before you take it to the dealer for work there is no POSSIBLE way of them scanning the truck and seeing there was a tuner on it?

Latest posts

Members online