Drive line vibration

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
This has been a wicked pissah to find but still it is a 50/50 on what it is.

So put new rear springs in had the tow adjusted fixed the tracking issue and the steering issues. Gained two inches in the rear so it is basically four inches of rake right now.
new front brakes hawk ceramic and napa calipers and ford rotors.

The vibration is a intermittent problem, The most common time is under load above 25 and on long grades.
Put quarters with a exhaust clamp at 15, 45, 90, 180 +/- degrees from the current weights in different configurations helped but still slightly present.
Put in neutral brakes off no abnormal movement.

Could not find any abnormal amounts of metal or other dents or dings any where else. Just stumped on what it is next I am checking the angle of the drive line to be sure also what is the correct angle.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Check u-joints and carrier bearing yet?

My money is on carrier bearing.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Check u-joints and carrier bearing yet?

My money is on carrier bearing.

Yeah totally forgot about that, did a visual on it dust shield is mostly gone did a quick trip pretty warm to the touch and I can move the shaft ever so slightly around inside of it. How much did the x codes lift the front of your truck? I probably should do my u-joints they are a sealed unit that I have no idea how old they are going to a spicer greasable.

The slip joints on these are a dust shield with crimps that are a sealed unit and use that lifetime blue nylon type coating that do not need regular grease?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Yeah totally forgot about that, did a visual on it dust shield is mostly gone did a quick trip pretty warm to the touch and I can move the shaft ever so slightly around inside of it. How much did the x codes lift the front of your truck? I probably should do my u-joints they are a sealed unit that I have no idea how old they are going to a spicer greasable.

The slip joints on these are a dust shield with crimps that are a sealed unit and use that lifetime blue nylon type coating that do not need regular grease?

X-codes and the 2" mini-spring pack lifted the front 4" total. Rear is still stock, except the bags.

I know last time I had u-joints go bad (I'm averaging 2 years a set) they looked fine until I removed the shaft, and then the needles were literally calling out the plastic cap. (They were TOAST.)

I would still lube the slip joint, but I doubt that's your issue. (Usually that's just a "clunk" on takeoff.) I just cut the bands on the dust cover and used small hose clamps to hold it on.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
X-codes and the 2" mini-spring pack lifted the front 4" total. Rear is still stock, except the bags.

I know last time I had u-joints go bad (I'm averaging 2 years a set) they looked fine until I removed the shaft, and then the needles were literally calling out the plastic cap. (They were TOAST.)

I would still lube the slip joint, but I doubt that's your issue. (Usually that's just a "clunk" on takeoff.) I just cut the bands on the dust cover and used small hose clamps to hold it on.

Yeah I have a pretty severe pinion angle as it is, Yeah I am just going to replace them. I plan on going with x codes and that should give me enough room for the wheels and tires I am going to run 16x10 4.5" backspace with -24mm offset wrapped with a 305/70r16 to get me through the winter.

My u joints are the metal cap I am glad no one has beat on the yokes with a BFH at all.

Latest posts

Members online