Drive shaft

hunter.b

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity has anyone painted there driveshaft or running a aluminum one?I can't stand looking at it all rusted up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreyHM1

Reaction score
My 2011 has an aluminum factory shaft, looks much better but they make funny ticking noises. U could probably get one made

hunter.b

Reaction score
My 11 also had a aluminum,wonder why the change?

getstroked27

Reaction score
Well you will have to find a good local powder shop, chancer are they will get powder from prismatic, and they have like, ten billion different colors.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
The rusty driveshafts drive me nuts too.

Easy solution. Put the truck on a lift, or up on jackstands. If it's 4wd, put it in 4x4. With wheels off the ground, and someone in the drivers seat, have them accelerate to 20-25mph to get the shafts spinning.

Take a steel bristle brush, and *carefully* work it up and down both drive shafts to remove the rust, while they are spinning. While still spinning, hose it down with brake cleaner, the spray paint with good rust resistant paint. Obviously, be careful as hell while you do this, including wearing eye pro so you don't end up with paint or brake cleaner in your face.

This method makes for a good, even coat of paint that will stick around for a couple of years and only takes about 10 bucks and 30 minutes. I do it to all of our trucks here.

getstroked27

Reaction score
Thats what we did on our 14 last year!! worked pretty well! did not have to scuff it much, it was AL, and had 17 miles on it LOL but that is another good option. not too sure why they went to Al on some trucks.

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Consider coating it with some chassis saver, I have a 94 Toyota pickup play toy that was stripped down to the chassis for a build and while everything was tore down we coated it all with chassis saver I love the stuff and it's still holding up and looks excellent. I would imagine it would last longer than paint and be cheaper than getting it coated

hunter.b

Reaction score
I think I'm going to find someone to make me a aluminum one But may give the steel brush a try in the mean time.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Could probably just use POR 15 and be done with it in one shot.

I believe Tycorr just had a one piece rear driveshaft made and there was a 5" aluminum option iirc.

Latest posts

Members online