Driveline Shutter When De-Accelerating

TURTLE

Reaction score
When I let off the Throttle I feel a shutter/ Hear a shutter coming from my truck. It sounds like it is right below the driver’s seat almost like the front 4x4 shaft has a bad U joint but of course this isn’t it since it is in 2wd. I checked all the front end ball joints and U joints and everything is fine. My very rear U joint between the rear shaft and the axle needs replaced. Could this cause a shutter when I let off the throttle? Or is there something else I should look for? I also checked my rear wheel spacers to make sure they weren’t working loose but those are fine as well. I replaced the rear U bolts that connect the axle to the leaf springs in order to mount my traction bars. They don’t seem to be working loose though. What makes me think its a driveline problem is that it only happens when I let off the throttle and there isn’t pressure on the driveline. At constant throttle or acceleration it is fine. It is really bad at speeds greater than 50 mph. Thanks.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
auto or manual my six speed does exactly what you are describing when the clutch is disengaged when in reverse only for some reason been like that since i have owned it

TURTLE

Reaction score
Built Auto. Tranny is not the problem Im pretty sure. Its a BTS and shifts fine. Everything works great except I cant get 4x4 Low to work.

TURTLE

Reaction score
Thats the large bearing that holds the first rear shaft up right? I was thinking about that. Ill check it out for sure. Thanks.

Viking

Reaction score
When you're under there check all the driveline nuts and bolts just to make sure. I had transfer case on my SD loosen up on me, the thing was only a DD with a V10.

TURTLE

Reaction score
The carrier bearing doesnt moving when I went under and shook everything. The T case and tranny arent loose. I pushed up pn all of it and literally was moving the truck up and down and they werent budging. So I have no Idea.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Give me a ring sometime tomorrow and I will come take a gander at it cyrus, I have a knack for tracking weird noises and vibrations down on trucks...

AKHILF

Reaction score
This most likely isnt it but I lost some weights on one of my wheels a couple trucks back and it did that same thing 50 mph and above... Went to the tire shop and fixed it right up.

TURTLE

Reaction score
Yeah I had that happen but it wasnt this bad. I just had new weights put on and the everything balanced and rotated. Maybe they messed something up though or something went wrong while doing it? Im going to fix that U joint and see if that is it. If not I more than likely am going to go back to the tire shop and see if they can check it out. The fact that it only does it when I let off the throttle makes me think its not something with the tires but more so with the driveline.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Yeah I had a problem with my carrier bearing on my current truck. When i did my 4" lift I didnt drop the drive line angle enough and it did made the truck shutter really bad over 60mph but that was no matter what throttle position

AKHILF

Reaction score
It wasnt loose at all. Just jacking the back up 2" and the front 2" on top of my leveling kit made it just get a shimmy. Maybe if you cant find anything else try droping your carrier bearing. I dropped mine 2" and it solved all my problems

Viking

Reaction score
So it can be the carrier bearing when torque is released off it letting it move "freely" at speed?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.