Dual Shocks for Leveled trucks?

VanoFord

Reaction score
I cant find a kit ANYWHERE. every one I do find says its for 6"+ of lift. there has to be something out there for us regular guys. i'd like to throw dual 5160 up front on this Icon level...

can any one help out? need a test truck for a new product?? any input would be appreciated. thanks!

TripleE44

Reaction score
What's your reasoning for wanting to run dual shocks? I don't think there are any 5160s that are valved to work in a dual setup anyway, so you'd likely be looking at a custom valved set if you did find the hoop to work with them.

If you're just after ride quality I would look into one really nice shock that you can have custom valved.

VanoFord

Reaction score
ride quality. i'll upgrade to a 5160 over my 5100 and see if that helps before jumpin to custom shocks ($$$$$). and i know i prolly posted this once before... just saw in My Threads :facepalm:

BlueOx

Reaction score
What's your reasoning for wanting to run dual shocks? I don't think there are any 5160s that are valved to work in a dual setup anyway, so you'd likely be looking at a custom valved set if you did find the hoop to work with them.

If you're just after ride quality I would look into one really nice shock that you can have custom valved.

I'm with Eric on this one, by the time you find an application that would work you probably could have just bought a really good set of shocks like Icons.

Well I stand corrected^ SAK beat me to the reply with the correct information.

Sent from the wild blue yonder....

VanoFord

Reaction score
true, dual shocks, not steering stabilizer. and i'm seeing what you guys mean. the cost of dual shocks, plus the fab to get them on my leveled truck... it's prolly cheaper to get a rebuildable valve specific setup. well, i think for now i'll upgrade to a 5160 and hope that works for a bit. thanks!

TripleE44

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that a dual shock setup was more for strictly offroad trucks where shock fade was a big issue, or that they were just for looks. Just adding a second shock on each side isn't going to improve ride any more than a properly valved shock, assuming you could even get a 5160 valved to work in a dual setup.

I'm happy with my 5160s on my truck and overall the truck rides really good and I'm sure some of that has to do with the 3-link, the coils, etc.

Edit: Also, if you're already thinking the 5160s will work just "for a bit" maybe you ought to wait just a little longer and get a nicer set of either Icons or something that you could have custom valved... :poke:

Last edited:

BlueOx

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that a dual shock setup was more for strictly offroad trucks where shock fade was a big issue, or that they were just for looks. Just adding a second shock on each side isn't going to improve ride any more than a properly valved shock, assuming you could even get a 5160 valved to work in a dual setup.

I'm happy with my 5160s on my truck and overall the truck rides really good and I'm sure some of that has to do with the 3-link, the coils, etc.

Edit: Also, if you're already thinking the 5160s will work just "for a bit" maybe you ought to wait just a little longer and get a nicer set of either Icons or something that you could have custom valved... :poke:

That's what I'd do :thumb:

VanoFord

Reaction score
yea, i hear ya guys. instead of nickel/diming my problem, put my big boy pants on and get a "truck specific" built set of shocks. thanks for the input. sometimes asking the dumb question brings to light an intelligent answer.

VanoFord

Reaction score
Yea, I just they have the whole Stg 3 kit that has the level coils, and then those 2.5 PB all the way around. bout $450/shock :lookaround: might have to ride this soft drum roll a bit longer lol.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Go the Icon route. Piggy back 2.5s ride amazing.

They're definitely nice shocks, and do ride well. But, my 5160s ride so close to as good as my last truck did with the Icon Omega bypass shocks, that if I do ever go to a nicer shock to try and chase ride quality again, it will ONLY be a custom valved shock. To me the price difference just isn't worth the benefit, and this was with me being able to tweak the ride characteristics to a pretty big extent.

BlueOx

Reaction score
Yea, I just they have the whole Stg 3 kit that has the level coils, and then those 2.5 PB all the way around. bout $450/shock :lookaround: might have to ride this soft drum roll a bit longer lol.

Lol let me know if you wanna go with a different shock in the future. I can get ya set up for sure

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.