DUSTED TURBO?!?!? - *PICS*

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
Ok long story short my turbo experianced a catastrophic failure getting on the expressway the other day.

I brought it to the dealer with the tuner and aftermarket exhaust on they said it shouldn't be a problem which it really wasn't a problem. I was there for 2 days when I get a call stating that they were having a problem getting it warrantied through ford. Ford engineers wanted a complete tear down before it would be approved. It would be about 800 bucks to do it which if covered by warranty would be paid for. If not it would go toward the R/R of a new turbo.

Fine I said thinking there was nothing they would see in the turbo that would be cause for concern. it was a run of the mill bearing failure and I'd be fine. Well, I get a call stating that ford was denying the replacement due to dust/dirt ingestion.

Lets keep in mind that I was being very lazy I had the money and have let the dealer do all the maintenance. When the oil light comes on, I bring it in and they do the oil change and run through their checklist which includes filtration systems.

Now, when the turbo went, I pulled over to check the obvious, plumbing and to make sure it didn't suck in the filter and what not. I look at the filter and its CAKED with oily dirt.. I was pretty pissed because theres no way that in 10,000 miles or so it could've gotten even near that bad. Yes I know I should never trust anyone to take care of these things or even check them. That said I was paying to have it done. I didn't want someone to come back down the road and say it wasn't done properly.

Here I am at 100,859 miles on the clock with a $3000 extended warranty, and a bill for $3600 for a new turbo, CAC, Cac tubes, Coolant, Oil change and Air filter. WTF

Now in the Pics I see the intake side of the turbo which has what I would consider a typical amount of oil from the CCV not enough dirt to cause a bearing failure (if thats even possible)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 323

sootie

Reaction score
That fact is, ford is being sticky on the warranties and try to put as much back on the vehicle owner as possible.
We all know those turbos fail in even stock form. it is an application engineering flaw.

that being said-with the tuner on it, you are on the thin edge of the wedge anyway. What tuner was it? some of the earlier ones oversped the charger something fierce.

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
It was mini-maxx with the earlier tuning before they cut back on the turbo abuse. I wouldn't be pissed if they flat out denied me because of the tuner. I get that if you play you pay. I'm pissed they said I dusted it. Its a pride thing. Like someone who is telling you that you don't care for your children.

I mean if its DIRT, Then what failed and how can it be prevented? I used a ford filter in a ford airbox, serviced by ford. Its a street truck the only dust/dirt its seen is salt dust in the winter.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
i highly doubt "dusting" was the cause for turbo failure.

if you are out the cost of the turbo anyway, i would be seriously considering a single kit from one of the vendors on here. SPE, MPD and soon to be Midwest.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
6.7's eat stock turbos pretty regularly, its not a dusting issue its a balancing issue. Hence the new turbo on the 15 trucks.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
if you are out the cost of the turbo anyway, i would be seriously considering a single kit from one of the vendors on here. SPE, MPD and soon to be Midwest.

This^

If they said that dusting was the cause of the failure... why wouldn't they pickup the bill? Didn't you say they went over everything? If it came in to the dealer for all maintenance then they should have seen the filter was in rough shape...

Just how I understood it...

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
This^

If they said that dusting was the cause of the failure... why wouldn't they pickup the bill? Didn't you say they went over everything? If it came in to the dealer for all maintenance then they should have seen the filter was in rough shape...

Just how I understood it...

You would think so. Unfortunately its my only mode of transportation at this point I can't wait. Too much going on right now to deal with it. Down the road when this one fails I'll go singe. I still plan on pushing back on this one... First I don't think it was dusted... A dirty filter cleans better than a clean one up to the point it fails.

I'll add this little gem from the motorcraft turbo diag guide... (Notice the clean/eroded sides)

Attachments

• Dusted.JPG
    Dusted.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
Thanks to all who posted. FINALLY got it back today after waiting for parts.

Grand total of 3871.72 including tax and a fuel filter change.

Now on to battle ford ESP customer service to get it back. Again, the dealer was great in all of this. unfortunately their hands were tied by some engineer. Hope I can get it back, but more than anything I needed my truck to be working again. It is what it is I guess.

ghohouston

Reaction score
You'd be amazed with some of the air filters I've seen from our work trucks. Granted, they spend a lot of time off road, they can completely clog an air filter in a week depending on where the crews are working. You can't always just change an air filter at every service. That is something that needs to be checked often. I've seen quite a few 6.7's come in with red dirt/almost mud caked to the bottom of the air filter and all in the filter box.

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
I completely agree it should be checked more often and I will be doing that going forward. That said the filter had not been touched or checked since I had it in for a pretty good oil leak from the vac pump 3 oil changes ago. Its very obvious looking at the filter. I've been going with any dealer recommended service, its not like its severe duty, I drive it on the street that's it, the most work its done is tow a boat a total of 70 miles.

I didn't see any damage to the filter, any holes, or signs of dirt in the intake tube with the exception of oil from the CCV. Besides, dirt ingestion might cause blade erosion and a low boost condition, but not bearing and shaft failure. Intake air should NEVER be in the center section of the turbo. There would need to be a massive amount of dirt for this kind of failure.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I always check mine I've had to go back to the dealership twice because is asked them to change it every time I change oil. And they even charge me for it. I've gotten a full refund 3 times for their lack of effort.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Ford started using the dusted excuse on the cab & chassis turbo failures. They have 1 mechanic just for doing turbos here. Guess it keeps people employed lol

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Ryan2012F350

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but was there any collateral damage when the turbo went?

Not completely sure what all occurs when a turbo fails on these!

Ryan2012F350

Reaction score
Copy that, did it roast anything else or just the turbo?

What I'm wondering is if I roast mine would one of the MPD kits cover it or would I have to dig into the motor more?

Latest posts

Members online