Dyno'd the truck h&S and KEM DPF on

patrickke

Reaction score
67DPFON.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
I think a smooth graph of a single gear pull with an rpm X-axis and a labeled Y-axis would make a lot more headway with people.

So to answer my question with that graph, guessing that the Y is 50hp increments, and the biggest spike hits just south of 500 at 497, that puts the average pull in the 420hp range?

So should people expect around 420rwhp?

If that other pull was an OEM tune, then should we figure you pulled an average of ~50 above stock with a max gain around 75 or so?

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
The 6th gear curve looks similar to mine just way higher up on the board

Charles, I THINK the 6th gear pull starts at about 105mph

Charles

Reaction score
The 6th gear curve looks similar to mine just way higher up on the board

Charles, I THINK the 6th gear pull starts at about 105mph

That last pull on their graph settles in around 420ish, then eases down around 375 or so, then dips down around 350 or so and then creeps back up to ~400 again off the top of that gear.

That seems pretty wishy-washy on power output to me, but, I really don't know anything about a 6.7, so maybe that's perfectly normal.

Did you post a graph of one of the programs you thought ran fine for comparison?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
That last pull on their graph settles in around 420ish, then eases down around 375 or so, then dips down around 350 or so and then creeps back up to ~400 again off the top of that gear.

That seems pretty wishy-washy on power output to me, but, I really don't know anything about a 6.7, so maybe that's perfectly normal.

Did you post a graph of one of the programs you thought ran fine for comparison?

Yeah the first graph in blue is the h&S tune. I really don't have any trouble with the H&S tunes. They run and drive great, which is why I am so confused about the other tunes. I would of thought there was something more wrong, but Tricktruck has very similar graphs posted on the org

Charles

Reaction score
Yeah the first graph in blue is the h&S tune. I really don't have any trouble with the H&S tunes. They run and drive great, which is why I am so confused about the other tunes. I would of thought there was something more wrong, but Tricktruck has very similar graphs posted on the org

I see, well in that case the actual power is really close, I thought both of those pulls were with the same programmer, lol.

There's just a little lull in the one, and it's also there in the graph patrickle posted as well, so it's not your truck.

Probably just something simple. A big rush, then lull, then rise again actually does sound exactly like a boost issue.

Like it overshoots, then lulls down, then starts building back up again...

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I see, well in that case the actual power is really close, I thought both of those pulls were with the same programmer, lol.

There's just a little lull in the one, and it's also there in the graph patrickle posted as well, so it's not your truck.

Probably just something simple. A big rush, then lull, then rise again actually does sound exactly like a boost issue.

Like it overshoots, then lulls down, then starts building back up again...

Yeah, Im not sure what the issue is I'm just frustrated with the truck and all the tunes in general, not just one brand, even the H&S mild made less than stock power. I was really thinking it would do better than that, plus with the issues with the corrupt files. Its a really crappy feeling when your truck might not start again. I will eventually try and get this fixed but harvest is almost here so I dont want to screw with a whole bunch of stuff and the truck runs and drives well for now which I need it to. So these are my results for the time being

patrickke

Reaction score
My Dyno Recommendations for the 6.7

1. Do a standing regen before you enter the dyno as if your truck starts regening on the dyno it will result in a lower power number
2.Lock the truck into 4th (1:1) or 5th (close to 1:1 but with od) gear as 6th gear is a double overdrive
3. Find out if it is a loaded dyno or not

Patrick@KEM

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I had a very similar experience. I would have been perfectly happy to work with Mike and Charles to solve the deficiencies with the KEM tunes. Unfortunatly they chose NOT to respond. I have multiple emails into them spanning a week's period with zero response (going on 3 weeks ago.)

The driveability of the truck is very bad on KEM tunes. Total incompatibility with cruise control, the trans tunes are either slushy and shuddering or shifting so hard it's like it's going to break something.

Without any support I had to give up, unload the KEM tunes and go back to H&S - which run flawlessly by the way.

With the severe driveability issues, it's kind of pointless to discuss the lack of promised power, however I was very willing to work on it. KEM chose not to respond. Not much else I could do.

The lure of 500RWHP and 20+mpg while maintaining clean emissions I believe is the Unicorn of these trucks.

In my experience and testing, the KEM Green Card tunes do NOT perform as advertised, they cause driveability issues and are not well supported by the manufacturer.

I'm done with this and have ordered deletes.

I'd love to get my $300 back, but I suspect that's not going to be possible.

Last edited:

Clomax

Reaction score
How do you run a standing regen????????

I can't find a way to run it Manually!

I'm making short trips in town, and the regen seems to run way to frequently. Is this because it doesn't have time to finish????

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I'm making short trips in town, and the regen seems to run way to frequently. Is this because it doesn't have time to finish????

Yes, best thing to do when you see the truck go into regen is to drive around for a while until the regen is complete otherwise it will keep having to do the process over and over again and never get a full burn. I can usually tell when a regen is done by the fuel milage.

I am 99% sure my truck didn't go into regen while on the dyno since I just completed a full one 100-150 miles ago

KEM Performance

Reaction score
I had a very similar experience. I would have been perfectly happy to work with Mike and Charles to solve the deficiencies with the KEM tunes. Unfortunatly they chose NOT to respond. I have multiple emails into them spanning a week's period with zero response (going on 3 weeks ago.)

I have multiple emails with you as well as phone conversations, last email was 8/13/2012 HARDLY 3 weeks ago!!!

The driveability of the truck is very bad on KEM tunes. Total incompatibility with cruise control, the trans tunes are either slushy and shuddering or shifting so hard it's like it's going to break something.

You mentioned that the trans was shifting too hard for your liking and I explained that you can load the lower power level with the trans and then reload just the higher engine power level to get the softer shifting.

Without any support I had to give up, unload the KEM tunes and go back to H&S - which run flawlessly by the way.

With the severe driveability issues, it's kind of pointless to discuss the lack of promised power, however I was very willing to work on it. KEM chose not to respond. Not much else I could do.

WHAT?? I have a long list of emails going back and forth with you answering all of your questions and concerns including LONG phone conversations, how is that not support?

The lure of 500RWHP and 20+mpg while maintaining clean emissions I believe is the Unicorn of these trucks.

I guess we bought the Unicorns then...

In my experience and testing, the KEM Green Card tunes do NOT perform as advertised, they cause driveability issues and are not well supported by the manufacturer.

I'm done with this and have ordered deletes.

I'd love to get my $300 back, but I suspect that's not going to be possible.

Let me ask you a few questions, not for me as I know the answers but for everyone else out there that has not seen the numerous emails nor have been on the lengthy phone calls...

In what gear did you do the runs on?
Was the dyno a loaded Eddy current dyno?
And Most importantly, did you do a stationary regen before each dyno pull so a fair comparison can be made?

As we discussed, all of your runs were low on power and you said that you did not do a regen before the dyno event.

Level four in regen on the dyno, looks like the same power levels as you...

REGENLVL4.jpg

KEM Performance

Reaction score
How do you run a standing regen????????

I can't find a way to run it Manually!

You can use the Ford IDS tool, or any other tool that supports the stationary regen.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I feel this thread kind of got out of hand
Just to let eveyone know this is NOT a thread to bash KEM tunes, the H&S tunes didn't do so hot either...

This is a tread to see what my real world results were with these tunes and how they were similar to Tricktruck's results as well so there are problems. I just sent and long e-mail to Mike @ KEM to address the issues I am having, and I am pretty sure he will try to help the best he can.
I will keep this updated as progress is made with the tunes and the truck, that way anyone else that runs into these problems can find a way to fix them.

-Matt

TrickTruck

Reaction score
That's right Mike, we did have a couple short emails and a conversation. The next email was telling me off and after that zero. Last message I got from you was on 8/8/12, not a word after that and there are 4 from me.
Sorry for the 3 weeks, it's been 14 days now with zero response from you.

I'm done man. I'm not going to blow my truck (like others have done) up so you can test your stuff.

My results are REAL WORLD RESULTS, not marketing hype. You don't like them? I don't blame you a bit, I don't like them either.

With the severe driveability issues that come with this tune it's pretty pointless to argue about dyno results.
We don't drive dynos, we drive on a road, they dyno is only there to verify what we should see on the road. When a tune makes a truck undriveable on the road or breaks the truck, it's pretty pointless to worry about it's ability to pull on a dyno.

I'll be happy to ship this card back for a refund.

Last edited:

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
So how much power should these trucks make in a perfect world, I've tossed around the idea but ill save my $ and keep what I have if they don't even make as much power as a "bolt on" 7.3

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Well, now at 15 days with no response from Mike at KEM I get a message regarding returns.

Robin,

Please see our return policy found here: http://www.kemperformance.com/Returns.php

By the way, I never said that I would not support any of my products.

Mike
NO REFUNDS on custom files, special orders, or tuning devices.

Nice, no mention of the multiple requests for support and the numerous problems.

So I guess I've just wasted $300. Actually $400 since the dyno used to verify that the KEM tunes don't work was another hundred bucks.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Well, now at 15 days with no response from Mike at KEM I get a message regarding returns.

NO REFUNDS on custom files, special orders, or tuning devices.

Nice, no mention of the multiple requests for support and the numerous problems.

So I guess I've just wasted $300. Actually $400 since the dyno used to verify that the KEM tunes don't work was another hundred bucks.

Not his fault u didn't do research b4 hand

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online