E40D issue.

TSiZj

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am having an issue with my truck and would like to see if anyone else has had the same thing happen. Truck is a 1997 F-250 HD extended cab 4x4 powerstroke. The truck has about 191,XXX miles. The automatic in the truck has only 30,000 miles. I have all the documents on the transmission from ford were it was purchased new so i know it is a new ford trans. So I towed a small (2700lb) car from Indianapolis to Chicago (190 miles) I had no issues getting the car there. on the way home at night (45-50 degrees outside) no load just an empty trailer halfway home the transmission just went into neutral i had to pull over and let the truck sit. i started driving again then it wouldn't come out of first gear. i let the truck cool off on the side of the road for 20 minutes. i got back on the road and made it home. once home that night it didnt want to come out of first. since then i have never had another issue. the fluid was drained only to find perfect fluid and had a full level. i added an inline filter and a big cooler after changing fluid. still havent had an issue (3k miles on new fluid). anyone else had this issue were there trans going into neutral without warning. Trans also never overheats!

Latest posts

Members online