E4OD odd issue

secondarychaos

Reaction score
Hey All,
my transmission has been doing something odd.

It got way too hot (260-270F) about a week back towing ~11k lbs , and dripped some fluid from the front seal, but once it cooled it resealed and seemed fine- it ran ok for the next few days.

Yesterday and today, however, it's acting very funny. It started with feeling like the brakes were dragging, to the point that I pulled the calipers and lubed everything again, since I did the brakes a few weeks back.

It would feel like this every time I came to a stop, but today I noticed that if I come to a stop and put it in neutral, it rolls freely.

Then I noticed that if I shift it down to 1, it takes off like normal.

Yesterday it also got warm enough after doing this that I parked it for 45 minutes on my way home and let it cool (went above 230F).

I pulled the dipstick today with it sitting in park running, and it was in the middle of the hot mark, with no burnt fluid smell and no particles or discoloration.

Anyone recognize these symptoms? I know I'm coming due for a transmission, but was hoping to postpone it until next year. Trans has 280K on it, 361K on the truck.

Thanks,
Dan

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Im pretty sure anything over 220* is causing damage to the transmission. The fluid starts to break down and looses its lubricity. The higher the temperature, the faster the break down.

Check out this chart:
heatchrt.jpg

That being said, it already having 280k miles on it, and then you overheated it to 270*. Id say its barely holding on as it is.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Im pretty sure anything over 220* is causing damage to the transmission. The fluid starts to break down and looses its lubricity. The higher the temperature, the faster the break down.
I'm absolutely certain you're wrong.

That chart you showed is wrong. It might have been right 50 years ago, but transmissions and ATF have come a long, long way in that time. Going over 220°F isn't going to damage the transmission. Fluid DOES NOT break down and lose it's lubricity. These are lies to sell unneeded cooling aids for transmissions.

I'll have to think more about the original problem. I don't recognize those symptoms, but my initial guess is that a clutch is dragging.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Im sorry if heat doesn't break transmissions, then what does? I'm sure stress does, but im willing to put money on heat being the #1 cause of transmission failure. I might as well pull off the transmission coolers that i bought then and throw them in the trash...

But im no transmission expert so...

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Heat DOES damage transmissions. Just not like that chart shows. Those temperatures are much too low to cause the damage that it says happens. It doesn't.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
So it is exactly as i said... What a concept.

I say over 220* will cause problems, and you say you can run UP TO 220* all day long....

I say 270* caused damage, and you say no, i'm wrong, then say you cant run 250* for more than half an hour?

Im so confused now... lol

Latest posts

Members online