E4OD Shifting problem

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I am currently driving my roommates obs. It has a semi built trans in it, not sure about what is done to it, but it is shifting all sorts of weird. It will blink the o/d light and start shifting weird, but at other times it will not blink it and just lock the converter way low.

When light blinks:

It will go 1st gear up until 2500+, shift to 2nd and lock the converter, unlock the converter, sometimes re lock or sometimes go back to 1st and free rev, then slam 3rd, then back to 2nd, then lock, unlock, then 1st. All sorts of weird shifting patterns.

When converter locks:
Leave stop light at maybe 10% throttle (when it clicks) and lock in 1st, then lock 2nd by 20, and be in 3rd lockup by 25-30mph.

-I replaced the CPS last week before i started driving it.
-I will be replacing the pigtail for the VSS this week as it threw a code for that today
-Does it with the chip in or out. Some days it will not do it at all, other days it will do it intermittently, other days it never stops.

Really at a loss for this one. It has Gearhead tuning if that matters.

When the trans is acting fine, the converter locks solid and it doesn't slip what so ever.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
brake light signal wires route thru it, and it could have an internal short causing it to lock and unlock the converter

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Checking anything except what codes are stored in the computer is just a waste of time. Without knowing the codes you don't know where to look.

rustbucket

Reaction score
When you changing the VSS pigtail pull the sensor and clean the metal shavings off it, when enough get built up on it its hard for the sensor to read the tone ring. I would also check your MLPS and harness its pretty commen for the wires to break or the pins to get rusty. The brake switch would explain the converter locking in and out but you wouldnt think it would make it lock up early.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Just hope the problem isn't in the PSOM, those are getting hard to find nowadays.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
When you changing the VSS pigtail pull the sensor and clean the metal shavings off it, when enough get built up on it its hard for the sensor to read the tone ring. I would also check your MLPS and harness its pretty commen for the wires to break or the pins to get rusty. The brake switch would explain the converter locking in and out but you wouldnt think it would make it lock up early.

What is the mlps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

907DAVE

Reaction score
Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (part of the instrument cluster).

Basically it converts the A/C signal from the VSS to a digital signal the PCM uses to determine vehicle speed.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score

Basically it converts the A/C signal from the VSS to a digital signal the PCM uses to determine vehicle speed.

Oh I gotcha.. That would make sense the speedo kinda jumps around. Figured trucks got 275k it's bound to have its quirks with speedo but if that's going out that might not be good. Any way to test it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Yes, there is a way to test it. GET THE CODES READ.

If you want to read them yourself you need to buy a high end scan tool. They are a few thousand dollars. It makes sense to go to a good independent shop or to a Ford dealer and pay to get them read.

97powerstroke

Reaction score

Can you just change it out or do you need a new Speedo? Mine's acting the same way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.