E4OD shudder when shifting

bigwhite94

Reaction score
So I bought my truck, and it was said to have a rebuilt transmission when I bought it, so now after me having it should have about 30k-40k on it total. I do not know the details on the rebuild though. Anyways, about 2 weeks ago my truck one day out of the blue (like one day it was driving perfectly fine) the truck began to shudder from 1st to 2nd and then would engage, all the other gears would shift fine. I don't feel any slippage, only the shudder. Another thing it would do is if it would try to drop down to pass, the TC seems to just spin and I had to let the pedal for it to engage. I am at a loss in which route to go on this, I don't want to take it to a transmission shop and have them start the truck, drive it for 10 minutes and tell me I need a rebuild. My brake lights both work with no LED bulbs, I changed the VSS on the axle, tranny fluid is still red, but my gauge will go to about 180-200 degrees and used to stay about 155 degrees. Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this before I bite the bullet and take it down to the shop?

Truck is stock, other then full exhaust, intake and 6 pos chip from PHP. 4:10 gears with 33x12.50 tires.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I fixed this exact problem with the 2nd to 3rd shift with a BTS valvebody. Even with he passing gear problem. Not saying that is your problem, just thats what i did and it worked. Mrjonesjr also had this problem he fixed with a bts valve body b4 he sold the truck.

Stock trans cooler or aftermarket?

bigwhite94

Reaction score
I won't be able to drop the pan until Wednesday or Thursday, work changed my days off so have to wait a few more days to do. I haven't drove the truck at all since it started get hot that one. Only when me and Biggreen96 hooked it up to AE and ran all the diagnostics and tests on it.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I fixed this exact problem with the 2nd to 3rd shift with a BTS valvebody. Even with he passing gear problem. Not saying that is your problem, just thats what i did and it worked. Mrjonesjr also had this problem he fixed with a bts valve body b4 he sold the truck.

Stock trans cooler or aftermarket?

Thats interesting. Good to know, thanks frank.

Latest posts

Members online