E4OD Tranny, Speedo problems,

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Ok, I'm out of idea's here. My 96 7.3 auto is still having speedo issues. It's still bouncing the needle so its also still having shifting problems. I've replaced VSS, PSOM, Speedo motor and checked the tone ring in the rear. It holds mph then loses it, it might hold it for 10 seconds at a time. It also likes certain speeds where it almost straightens up. I crawled under it again today to check wires and noticed the gear position sensor is new. Can that have anything to do with this?

Also disconnected the ABS module and that slowed the bounce but it's still there. Tried yet another known working VSS and nothing. Weirdest thing is... no codes. Nothing.

Here's a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-b_OnK7ktY&feature=youtube

907DAVE

Reaction score
Start by checking for a steady AC voltage at the speed sensor. If the signal looks clean check the signal at the PSOM. 12 terminal connector, Red/Pink (R/PK) and Light Green/Black (LG/BK) wires. If the signal is steady but the speedo is still dropping out, suspect a PSOM failure, or your loosing supply voltage or ground to your PSOM.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I played with the VSS plug and it slowed even more. I'm going to swap out another pig tail and see what that does. My multi meter got fried and I haven't replaced it yet.

Latest posts

Members online