E99 needing injectors stage 1 2 or hybrids?

Sam_is_white

Reaction score
I am new to psa and I understand this topic has been beat over and over, but I was hoping to hear first hand from guys with experience. I have an e99 with 210k on stock injectors. time for a replacement and figure it's a good time to upgrade. I only have a torque converter and valvebody upgrade to the trans and am running stock turbo. What are my limits on 'safe' injector size? also I see people saying I can run hybrids and just detune them, Is this hard on the injector to run less fuel through them? I will be running a regulated return and upgrading to a 17* hpop as well. Thanks for any help!

V-Ref

Reaction score
I'm biased because of the great experience I've had with Nate @ Unlimited Diesel....but I'd call him. Tell him your intended use of the pickup, future goals (if any), and he'd make sure your hard earned money was spent in the right direction.

He's the only injector builder I'm aware of that's offers a lifetime warranty as well.

Lots of good options for you (injector/nozzle size, builders, etc). That's just my 2 cents and what I'd tell family/friends to do if they posed that question to me.

TyCorr

Reaction score
A 160 or 175 with a 30 percent nozzle.

Vref is correct, find a builder and ask them what to use. Or call your tuner of.choice and have them recommend an inj builder.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Stock trans, torque converter and valvebody upgrade to the trans and 210k miles...
I'd worry about any inj upgrade. Least risky would be stock nozzles.

psduser1

Reaction score
160/80 % injector, and have your tuner set all positions on your chip either stock or heavy tow....
Get the benefit of a short injection window, without overpowering a stock drivetrain.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If you never plan on gettin more air then just get a set of 160/30's

:whs:

The turbo will be your first limiting factor. If you were to bump up to an H2E turbo or similar, you could run larger injectors sufficiently.

psduser1

Reaction score
:whs:

The turbo will be your first limiting factor. If you were to bump up to an H2E turbo or similar, you could run larger injectors sufficiently.

You've got way more experience than I've got....
My setup still makes me smile, and it's pretty tame.
I'd listen to an experienced tuner, for sure.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Yes..but this still doesn't change the fact of his trans.. limit the setting he uses IE HP Tq sure but we all know how that usually works out. A few beers and a bud comes but and its turn it up!

Sam_is_white

Reaction score
I don't ever intend to push this motor over the 425-450hp point. Due to it being the early 99, about the only bolt in turbo that would support that would be a d66 or a t4/s366 setup but I feel the t4 is a bit overkill. I know I'm on somewhat borrowed time with a 210k trans even with tc/valvebody. Just looking to get above the 400hp mark. What is the difference performance wise from a 160/30 to a 180/30 injector?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes..but this still doesn't change the fact of his trans.. limit the setting he uses IE HP Tq sure but we all know how that usually works out. A few beers and a bud comes but and its turn it up!

My stock trans lived for a while. I installed 175/80s and it was tuned smokefree. That just happened to be 400hp plus a few extra. Thing is, truck had 238k on it. Original trans. Never actually broke it from the power. Got it too hot.

I agree, its a gamble. But a 160/30 and someone driving sensibly is not going to magically destroy anything.

White Buffalo

Reaction score
I'm with OBSWIZ, Unless your having problems with your injectors and they need to be replaced I would consider rebuilding the tranny first, upgrade the turbo then do injectors. Might take longer to get to your injectors but I don't like adding power then being put in the situation to repair other systems earlier than expected.

You'll actually save some money this way by only having to get tunes done once. Not paying for mild tunes now then paying again later after the supporting mods are completed.

My tranny rebuilder showed me the disassembled tranny from my Excursion on the bench at 200K, It wasn't broken but in his words "it did it's job for 200K - it's just worn out and needs some attention sooner or later". The fluid analysis wasn't pretty either.

I'll place my bet on the tranny center support bearing at 210K with a 400-425 hp push

Last edited:

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Good plan to upgrade the trans first as pointed out. Then, you're not too far from updating enough to run a 38R, you'll probably need up pipes anyway with any turbo upgrade, just do the intake mods while you're there and be done with it. Then you'll need to look at the HPO system if it's stock, probably need a 17° pump, and do the rear crossover while you're at it. At that point the valve springs and pushrods need to be addressed and as far as injectors anything you want up to 250/200s will work.

Not sure why you think having an E99 is a limiting factor, it should have forged rods unless it had the short block replaced and be good to go.

Sent by my right thumb!

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
go to the sticky on top of this forum, the one that says READ BEFORE POSTING, and go to post #8, and click on that link that i have in there.

read that, then ask about what you still dont understand.

Arisley

Reaction score
He wasn't jumping on him, he was pointing him in a direction that might just answer his questions. Chill a bit.

I would go with a hybrid for sure, they take less oil. That means you can get by with a stock 17º pump, or bump up to an Adrenaline. My Adrenaline has been going strong for 150K miles now, and I have never been accused of babying my truck.

I second all the advice about a trans rebuild. I didn't do it and my truck is parked with a broken trans.

If you are going to upgrade the turbo, skip the D66. Go to a T4 mount. That gives you endless options for a turbo. Also put bigger intake plenums on. You can get stock 99 and up plenums cheap.

I also agree with getting a good tuner. Tony Wildman still offers free reburns. If you get his chip and later decide on a little different setup, you will not have to pay for a reburn. He has been doing tuning for the 7.3 since fuel 7 was out there.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
And if you read that post, you would understand that there is no real technical info In that post.

If You have a 7.3, and even if you know not a damn thing about it, you read that link, it will give you enough general info to be able to ask logical questions. Because you will have a general idea of whats actually available for the truck, without having to blindly ask what available for it.

Because you will at least have enough general info to know what to ask.

In that DOC, are some links to some of the more obscure parts, so you can physically see what I mentioned.

That's not me being the "unofficial forum police." That's me, without having to write out a long winded post like this, being able to point a new guy in the right direction to get started learning, without him wasting his time making several threads trying to learn.

That's me helping keep this forum from being cluttered with 10,000 repetitive threads asking the same thing.

That's me making a general plan, and a general order of modifications, so if someone wants to do things they have a basic order of operations of how things are generally done, but by no means is it a set in stone order. Do them in any order you want to.

But you just keep on trucking with your extended knowledge of what's gotta happen, or pissing off the people who actually do, or know more than you, and see where your john Wayne forum attitude gets you next time you want help.

Carry on.

uw mitch

Reaction score
I'm happy with the 160/30s on my e99. In the end I went with a t4 kit as well but just had the injectors and t500 for a few months. Did a locally built trans about 8 months prior to the power upgrades

m j

Reaction score
HPOP determines injector size limitations.
IMO there is such thing as too big an injector if the pump can feed it oil as these things are electronic and can put as little fuel in as the tuner calls for in the tune.
it is not hard on the injector to 'run less fuel through them'
I have read that a stock 17° can feed a hybrid so I would go with a 238/100 as it is the most common hybrid (least expensive too). every tuner will have tunes for it from stock hp up. I do not see any reason to pay for a smaller injector.

there are bottlenecks that determine price point.
all the 7.3 are effected by the HPOP selection that will determine your injector size.
your e99 turbo mount is also a bottleneck that will effect your turbo choices when it come time to replace. either convert it to 99+ or go T4. some OBS guys will buy your parts to intercool their trucks so you can recoup $$ there when that time comes

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.