Early 99 vs 99.5

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
I'm sellin my truck in order to buy a 4x4. Looking at a 99 eclb 4x4 with 188k. Not sure if its a early or late 99 model so how can I tell? Also need some advice on what to look for as far as problems go. Thanks fellas!

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
early 99s did not have intake heaters and the intake spider is smaller going into the intake manifolds. there are others differences but thats the easiest way to tell the difference. i think in a different thread on there someon had posted the vin # cut off for late model

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
The E99 has forged rods but the smaller turbo and intakes, 2" instead of 3". They have a build date before 12/7/99.
My E99 has a build date of 02/02/98.
There are other differences as well.

Arisley

Reaction score
99.5 also has forged rods.

Couple easy quick ways to tell, without even opening the hood. Almost all early 99's had the Powerstroke emblem on the fender, not on the hood. And the build date was in 98 not 99. The closer you came to 99.5 you started to see some of the 99.5 parts as opposed to the early 99 parts.

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
I always wondered why some had that badge an others didnt, maybe the one I'm looking at will be an exception:priest:. Will my chip off my 01 fit on a early 99? Ill just let it go with the truck if it won't.

Last edited:

dustinz85

Reaction score
I always wondered why some had that badge an others didnt, maybe the one I'm looking at will be an exception:priest:. Will my chip off my 01 fit on a early 99? Ill just let it go with the truck if it won't.

It will work, but will mostly need reburned for that pcm code. Your 01 is a PMT code I'm guessing, you fit have to get it reburned to whatever code family the 99 is. But like said before its at least going to have forged rods! Lol I'm playing the guessing game with my 01 with rods.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Almost all early 99's had the Powerstroke emblem on the fender, not on the hood. And the build date was in 98 not 99.

My old E99 was a 10/98 build date (IIRC... its been a long time now) and it had the door mounted badges. The problem is that so many guys have swapped 99.5 stuff onto E99's by now that it can be really hard to tell the difference. The AIH is one good way to tell, but if I were looking at a 99 and it had a plug in the AIH hole I'd look for the relay as well, seems like most guys that delete the AIH don't bother with removing the relay.
Another good way to tell (if someone hasn't swapped parts) is the compressor housing on the turbo. E99 compressor housings only have 4 bolts holding them on and they don't have the reinforcing ribs coming from the housing to the inlet. There is also the upper radiator hose (E99 stock routing goes behind the belt, 99.5 goes through the belt) but again, that's something that many people swap.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Pulling the plug and looking will eliminate any doubt on forged to pmr rods. If you get the build date and serial number off of the actual motor you can look it up and see what it was built with. That's what I did with my e99.
Mine had a feb 98 mfg date. I was able to research the injectors, 135cc split shots as well.
As far as the chip and PCM are concerned you should verify this. The E99 uses the XLE4 PCM which from what I was told by Gearhead had to be changed. I installed a PMT2.
The E99 costs more to upgrade as the plenums, spyder and turbo are smaller. You can't just buy a 38r and upgrade the turbo without changing the spyder and plenums.

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! Turns out it was a pos:fustrate:. One of the weakest 7.3 I've ever been in. Looks like ill be keeping my truck for a little bit longer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.