Easiest way to remove fan

rsieck

Reaction score
Need to put a new gasket on my water pump... Whats the easiest way to get the fan off with just hand tools?

Cory S

Reaction score
I always use a punch and a hammer. Place punch on lift side of the "nut" and spin it off

Sent from my Motorola razr (flip phone)

PDT1081

Reaction score
I found a suggestion by someone else on here and used a 1" ratchet strap to hold the pulley. Cut a piece of rubber to wrap around the pulley first, 4 or 5 wraps with the ratchet strap, ratchet strap hooked to frame on both sides. Didn't have a wrench to fit so I ended up using a flat jawed pipe wrench.

Arisley

Reaction score
I stick a big pipe wrench on the fan with the handle sticking straight up. Smack the handle with a three lb. hammer. Repeat until it breaks loose. Usually two or three smacks.

rsieck

Reaction score
Perfect! I so would use air tools if I had an air compressor to run one. And it's still at our farm.. To bad I don't have 4 miles of air hose.. LOL

MossBack

Reaction score
Is it really that hard to use OTC wrenches that one goes on water pump pulley and other on fan. Turn against each other and fan comes off. I can see a pipe wrench and chisel dicking up the fan hub.

Right tools for the right job !

PDT1081

Reaction score
Is it really that hard to use OTC wrenches that one goes on water pump pulley and other on fan. Turn against each other and fan comes off. I can see a pipe wrench and chisel dicking up the fan hub.

Right tools for the right job !

The pipe wrench I used is a flat (smooth) jaw. Don't have an open end wrench big enough. It's called do what you have to to get to work the next day...

MossBack

Reaction score
The pipe wrench I used is a flat (smooth) jaw. Don't have an open end wrench big enough. It's called do what you have to to get to work the next day...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345325949.302077.jpg Do you mean this guy. Jic Hydraulic wrench?

Arisley

Reaction score
That is a monkey wrench.
You might have to take a long pry at and place it in there between two pulley bolts with the end on the ground to hold things in place.
I understand all about having to do with what you have on hand.
Replaced my water pump twice. Never had the fancy wrenches on hand. No damage to the fan yet.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Autozone and orielys will loan the fan removal tools for free. Very easy and helpful. No rounded fan clutches either.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

Zaairman

Reaction score
Everybody seems to make it such a big deal to get the fan off. For me, it was very simple. I got the loaner fan removal kit from Advance. Left the belt ON. Put the proper size wrench on the nut, and also put a breaker bar in the in the tensioner. Slightly tightened up on the tensioner, and pushed on the wrench. Popped right off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.