Easiest way to replace serpentine and idler pulley

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
Like the title says, my tensioner pulley is a little twisted causing it to eat the belt. What is the easiest way to replace these? And if its major should I replace anything else while I'm in there?

bluedevilslax

Reaction score
I have done it with just pulling the passenger side fender cover. you can get to everything from there and don't have to worry about the fan being in your way.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Do both upper and lower idlers while in there. They always seem to go out as a set. There are different part numbers for the idlers as well. Just a heads up for when you order the parts.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my truck, I got the tensioner from the bottom, it's a pita but you can get it done, I just loosened the cold side pipe to beable to get a wrench on to get get the tension on the belt

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
Just to update. I did this by pulling the top fan cover.It was pretty easy to remove and once gone there was PLENTY of room to get down in there and get both idlers and both tensioner's. BTW, the idlers and tensioner's from NAPA are the exact same as the ones from Ford but with the FORD casting milled off and $90 cheaper on the tensioner and $40 cheaper on the idler. Didn't take any pictures but I did this in about 3 hours start to finish. Also replaced both belts.

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
are you guys hearing like a slight chirping noise from them? I'm hearing that now
and I suspect one of the idlers is going bad. just wondering what your symptoms are. thanks.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah it's a chirp. Just confirmed today my idler in the altenator bracket is bad. I can see my kinda wobbling around. Ordered a new one from napa for 40 bucks

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
Mine was the tensioner and it squealed all the time. Started just at start up and then slowly got worse. It eventually ate one line of the serpentine belt before I changed it.

Latest posts

Members online