Easy bake headlights!!!

jb903

Reaction score
So I got a set of headlights free and figured I'd paint them. Set the oven to 230 and put one in. Set timer for 10 minutes. Daughter got sick, I forgot and couldn't hear the timer and 30 minutes later realized I had them in the oven. Easiest set of headlights to take apart. Screw driver in corner and popped right off. The glue was so soft I just used a screwdriver to pull it all out. Just thought I'd toss this out there as another option instead of the 250-275 for 10 minutes on and off. And yes, I did the 2nd light same exact way.

Fenner408

Reaction score
Damn I figured the lenses and chrome would be in rough shape after that. Glad to hear they turned out alright.

FreddyM

Reaction score
So I got a set of headlights free and figured I'd paint them. Set the oven to 230 and put one in. Set timer for 10 minutes. Daughter got sick, I forgot and couldn't hear the timer and 30 minutes later realized I had them in the oven. Easiest set of headlights to take apart. Screw driver in corner and popped right off. The glue was so soft I just used a screwdriver to pull it all out. Just thought I'd toss this out there as another option instead of the 250-275 for 10 minutes on and off. And yes, I did the 2nd light same exact way.

I did the same thing about 4 months ago!!!! Let those suckers sit for about 20 min and yanked em apart wearing gloves and using a plastic wedge!!

Tonka350

Reaction score
I did the lights on my 08 and it turned out awesome, but I definitely wish I would've left them in longer LOL...now I know for the next set.

Chad

Merlin

Reaction score
I did the same thing about 4 months ago!!!! Let those suckers sit for about 20 min and yanked em apart wearing gloves and using a plastic wedge!!
Hey gents, new guy here, I'm about to jump in with both feet and paint my '11 6.7 450 KR headlights. My friend & past co-worker Nick DeTray introduced me to the forum. My staying plenty busy with work and trying to not go overboard with mods has resulted in me using the forum only a couple times. But, I have to say y'all have some great stuff on here! With those new guy formalities outta the way (seems to be the norm), I'll say I'm tryin to do all lights on the truck by this weekend for NHRDA in Rockingham, NC and getting perty stoked about having lights like y'all do & I had on my '03 7.3; & doin it myself as a bonus. It seems like I've got a good idea for supplies. I'm just searchin to narrow in on the process details. I read in another post that a guy took all oven racks out but one and placed that one in the lowest position. Then, he put a piece of cardboard in between the headlight housing and the rack. It seems like the best method would be to preheat the oven to 230 and let it bake for about 20-25 min. My questions are: Where did you place the rack? Do you think 25 min would make it easier to pull apart and get all the adhesive off and still be safe for the housing? Or, should a fella stick to 20 min to be careful? Lastly, did you leave the oven on or turn it off for each baking period? Thanks in advance! My goal is to knock this out tomorrow or Wednesday; but preferably tomorrow. Then, I can garage paint cure tomorrow night & get up early for reassembly before work. Then, all the other lights should be in from Recon Thursday; in time for the Friday drive. Thanks again. I hope that wasn't too long. I get a little long-winded sometimes/frequently lol.

- Merlin

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.