ECM Rollback

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Actually already received PHP remote tuner for FICM tune but truck is in shop now.... Waiting to get done before tuning it....but really curious if its even worth the rollback too!

jdc753

Reaction score
I have tried to look up what my strategies were and what it changed to but I just can't find it any more.

I had what was told to me a bad flash (for injector life, and mileage), and we rolled it back to an early 05 flash (I believe) I didn't notice any change in power or operation, but I pretty much lost 1-1.5mpg right off the top. Which was the whole reason I was getting the roll back in the first place.

I ran that flash for a few months until just having the same guy install some PHP flashes on the truck, we ended up doing both of the PHP tunes and tried it on the dyno back to back with the factory tuning and there were no actual peak number changes, but my truck is already running xtreme race so I didn't expect any boost. We ended up leaving the truck running the big FICM tune.

What I did get with the PHP FICM flash was at first a little more smoke down low (until my driving style adjusted) and it had a good bit better response down low as well. With that I also got a good boost in mileage, picked up what I lost with the rollback plus another 1-2, especially at highway cruising.

Dave

Reaction score
I did it.

Went from VXCF9 to VXCF4.

2mpg increase and better low end power

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Ok so basically u lost a mpg by doing a roll back? Lol I thought I read on PHP that's one thin that would be gained. Good to know....would like to hear more from others if they had same issues...

Dave

Reaction score
Lost no. I gained to by rolling back.

Better low end power too

jdc753

Reaction score
Ok so basically u lost a mpg by doing a roll back? Lol I thought I read on PHP that's one thin that would be gained. Good to know....would like to hear more from others if they had same issues...

I did, but like I said I can't remember what flash I went from and what one I went too.

I know the guy who flashed my truck had done several experiments on his own and had good results, so I can't say with certainty that you would loose mileage by doing a rollback.

You can shoot Sicks Liter a PM on here with some questions and he could better explain. He is the one who did my rollback and has experimented with the various flashes and he is also a dealer for the PHP flashes. Might take him a bit to get back to you though as he is not always on here but I could shoot him a message on facebook to check it if you send him a PM.

EDIT: I just shot him a message to check in here when he gets a chance.

Last edited:

bboteler

Reaction score
Went vx7 to vx4. Cant comment on that alone because I did the atlas 40 at the same time and a PCM flash to 65hp tow tune. But I would do it again. Much more drivable and gained mpg's just can't say what exactly caused it.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
A big part of the fuel mileage and performance is the hardware on the truck. low fuel pressure, weak injectors, high pressure oil system leaks, turbo problems, etc are all a factor.

With JDCs truck he had the first inductive heat strategy in his FICM. i flashed his ECM, TCM & FICM back with my ford wds scan tool. the ficm strategy went from ARZ2AL01 to AMZ2AL12. AMZ2AL12 is a strong factory ficm calibration however it does not have inductive heat. i dont do much flashing back with my WDS anymore because most trucks do not do well without the inductive heat strategy, instead i flash any of the PHP FICM tunes, they have inductive heat so cold runability is much better. lack of inductive heat can hurt fuel mileage, if the engine is running poorly until it is close to operating temp then there is a big loss in fuel economy, especially in the winter.

JDCs truck with innovatives xtreme race picked up 30 or 40rwhp on dynojet after flashing from ARZ2AL01 to AMZ2AL12 (36x rwhp up to 400rwhp). i flashed the PHP 100hp Tune in and there was no change in rwhp. as i told him with custom tuning already in place and a strong factory ficm calibration the gains with the ficm tuning are in torque at low rpm, throttle response and fuel mileage.

those going from ARZ2AH00 (03-04) ARZ2AL00 (04.5) ARZ2AL01 (05-07) < the first inductive heat strategys and ARZ2AH10 (03-04), ARZ2AL10 (04.5), & ARZ2AL11 (05-07) < latest inductive heat strategys will see a big gain threw out the entire RPM range when going to a PHP FICM tune. the reason for this is these reflash calibrations are severely detuned, the max clips for pulse width, timing and icp are all lower therefor limit power output. this also affects fuel economy.

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
nice explanation Joe. I had totally forgotten about the lack of inductive heating... it hasn't been that cold yet, high 20's but the truck has fired up no problem this week (first time I have run it in the last month)

Latest posts

Members online