egr cooler: replace or delete?

txoutlaw250

Reaction score
I need your opinion on diagnosing my truck. Have an 07 crew cab 6.0 with 180,000k miles. Truck had head gaskets, egr and oil cooler replaced by Ford at 80k miles. Last week out of nowhere truck gets hot on me. Pulled over immediately and let it cool down. Drove it 5minutes and filled with water. it took about 2 gallons to bring it up. It had been smoking out the tailpipe a few days previously but it was abnormally cold outside so I didn't think much of it. Anyway, bought new coolant and began flush process with simple green and clr. Been flushing all week as I drive it to work and back, about 15min each way. Had a couple of hard starts and when it fired blew coolant out tailpipe. throughout the week the cooling system never pressurized OR blew out the cap. I'm hoping this means head gaskets are ok? Anyway, did heater core flush this weekend and reverse flush on oil cooler. Now it wants to blow out the degas as soon as I start it so I'm assuming it's completely clogged?

Hoping I can rule out head gaskets. No leaks around engine at all. Do I delete the egr or replace it? I'm definitely doing the oil cooler either way.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
I need your opinion on diagnosing my truck. Have an 07 crew cab 6.0 with 180,000k miles. Truck had head gaskets, egr and oil cooler replaced by Ford at 80k miles. Last week out of nowhere truck gets hot on me. Pulled over immediately and let it cool down. Drove it 5minutes and filled with water. it took about 2 gallons to bring it up. It had been smoking out the tailpipe a few days previously but it was abnormally cold outside so I didn't think much of it. Anyway, bought new coolant and began flush process with simple green and clr. Been flushing all week as I drive it to work and back, about 15min each way. Had a couple of hard starts and when it fired blew coolant out tailpipe. throughout the week the cooling system never pressurized OR blew out the cap. I'm hoping this means head gaskets are ok? Anyway, did heater core flush this weekend and reverse flush on oil cooler. Now it wants to blow out the degas as soon as I start it so I'm assuming it's completely clogged?

Hoping I can rule out head gaskets. No leaks around engine at all. Do I delete the egr or replace it? I'm definitely doing the oil cooler either way.

What do you guys think?

Delete it.

Kdavid1

Reaction score
Delete it. Do you have oil in the coolant? If you're doing the oil cooler do a proper flush before you put the new one in unless the old one is ruptured ( doesn't sound as it is) . No reason the one put in 100k ago should have gone bad if they flushed properly BEFORE the new cooler--imo.

2006 F350 4x4 6.0L

txoutlaw250

Reaction score
No oil in the coolant. It's had the crap flushed out of to the point I believe i totally clogged it. Just hoping the head gaskets are ok. Delete, oil cooler, and coolant filter will here tomorrow. Gonna be a 3 day weekend on this project.

Latest posts

Members online