EGR Function Causing A Problem?????

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well I have had this issue for a while and it has just taken some time to see if I could recreate it. I have tried to get info on this before but I dont think I was providing the right information. It is kind of long but I have done the best I can to provide as much info as I have.

Background Info:
In the fall of 2010, I did my first real set of upgrades to the truck besides an exhaust and tuner. I installed an EGR delete kit (completely removed the EGR valve), RR kit, Spearco Intercooler, Oil cooler delete, and CCV mod.
At the time of the install I was running a PPE Xcaliber tuner (I dont know if this device had the ability to turn off the EGR function or not), and what I noticed was that the truck just wasnt making the power it used to before I did all of the work. The truck ran GREAT stock and it felt more powerful than ever in its stock form but the gains from the PPE tuner just werent there.

Ok well skip forward to the spring of 2011 and I finally broke down and purchased a SCT SF3 with canned tunes to see if I could get anything with that tuner with the performance tune (as I had tried that tune before I did the work on the truck and it worked very good). Still not the gains I was looking for. In case you are thinking that I am just being unrealistic. With both the PPE tuner and the SCT canned performance tune, I could smoke my tires from a 15mph roll and now I can't even get my one wheel wonder to smoke a tire from a stop.

To compound matters when the summer of 2011 came around, I started noticeing that I could be driving the truck with a tune on it and while driving, the sound of the engine would change and the level of boost at cruise would jump by 3-4psi for the same driving conditions and EGTs would go down. I originally thought this was being caused by a bad MAF sensor that would screw up when the truck was in a certain ambient temperature or higher. I also assumed it would do this if it was returned to stock but I never verified it.

During the summer I installed head studs, Ford OEM head gaskets, updated stand pipes and dummy plugs, new ipr valve, and new HPOP. Still the problem existed. Last week I installed a new MAF sensor just to be sure and low and behold it wasn't the problem. I also upgraded to a 58v FICM with an IDP FICM tune.

The truck exhibits this problem regardless if I have my TSD SPD tune, SCT canned "performance" tune w/EGR off, and with a stock/transmission only tune with EGR turned off. Now when I return the vehicle to completely stock the problem doesnt occur AND when I run a transmission only tune with the EGR turned on, the truck does not exhibit this problem. The only problem is that I have a CEL on because I dont it turned off but the truck runs so much better. I only have yet to try the canned performance tune with the EGR turned on to see if I can get more performance than before.

I guess my question is, is it possible that the EGR function could be causing this problem??

Again, any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Zmann

Reaction score
couple of questions folks will probably ask

Have u had a good scanner on it for codes ?

This whole situation followed your EGR delete correct?

did u plug your egr valve in and zip tie it to the firewall ?

very strange it was stronger stock than ever but not as strong on a tuner !

the boost issue ?? what are you running for boost say around town and what do you see max?

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Nate, I don't want to throw out false information here but IIRC the canned tunes can't really turn off the EGR. I'm not positive on this as I don't really pay much attention to the ins and outs of those.

My thoughts here are, that your truck being an 06', it's looking for EGR flow. It could be defueling due to inadequate EGR flow or something. I'm just shotgunning ideas here so take it with a grain of salt. I know you've tried to get the answer on this several times in the past, without much sucess. I've hesitated to throw this idea out there because I just don't know for sure.

I think part of the trouble you're having with getting answers is that very few guys are running canned tunes with the mods you have.

My advice would be to get yourself an "Extreme" custom tune for your truck. You won't regret the mileage or power and the EGR can be turned off in the tune itself. I'm just not sure (as in I doubt) if the SCT can turn the EGR off on its own on a 6.0.

If nothing else, if my post is full of misinformation it may just get someone who knows better to finally chime in here.LOL :doh:

windrunner408

Reaction score
Ok first things first. Guys I appreciate the willingness to at least have a discussion about this. So Thank you.

To Zmann: No man I haven't had a high power scanner on the truck yet but I think next week I am going to break down and buy an AE.

I have to say that this problem IS related to the EGR system as this is the only mod that I have done so far that makes sense. Especially since right after I did it, was when I noticed the loss in performance (i.e. not able to smoke a tire from a stop).

As far as boost goes, before I did the EGR delete mod, I could cruise around on the hwy at 70mph with like 3-5psi (I noticed this with both my PPE tuner and my SCT canned performance tune as well as the stock tune). Now after I did the mod, my cruising boost went up to 6-8 psi regardless of the tune I ran.
I first noticed something like a switch with the boost level while cruising, it first happened when the ambient temp would get 80*F or higher and the truck was at normal operating temp and the boost would jump about 4psi so my cruising boost level would be 10-12psi.
This leads me to think there is some electrical component that is either failed or failing. I also thought that this problem would be present even on a stock tune. The temp at which this jump started occuring became lower and lower it was always present now when tuned "with the EGR turned off" after my 58v FICM/FICM tune upgrade. However when I go back to stock (w/EGR function not disabled), my cruising boost goes back to 6-8psi and sometimes as low as 5psi.

Lastly, when I say my truck runs stronger than ever when stock, I mean in reference to a stock truck not a tuned truck. My truck with the TSD SPD tune IS more powerful than a stock truck but I have the boost jump and not really any low end power gain but from 14psi and up the truck pulls pretty good eventhough I can't get the wheel to spin.
Also, no I don't have the EGR valve plugged it. At first I left it installed but didn't notice any difference when I unplugged and removed it. The truck still behaved the same and still required a tuner to turn off the CEL and the jump in boost that I describe was there.

If I can provide anything else please let me know and I will do my best. Thanks again.

windrunner408

Reaction score
SCT canned turns off egr if you select it.

:whs:

No worries Scott. Again I am glad to have anyone to talk about this with.

I only reference the canned tunes because it is all I have in addition to the stock and custom tunes.

Also, I was very surprised when I ran the "transmission only" tune with the EGR turned off and I noticed the jump in boost as i described but when I ran the "transmission only" tune with the EGR function "enabled" I didn't get the jump in boost.

Lastly, with the EGR turned off, I wouldn't get a CEL but does with it enabled and when completely stock.

Again thanks so much again.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I guess I misread that. I was under the impression you only had canned tunes for the SCT.

Again I apologize for spit balling here. I've read over all the posts you've made about your trouble in the past several times. I've always been stumped.

It really does sound like it might be time for an AE. Its just too valuable of a tool to have once mods like yours come in the picture. The differences in boost sound to me like a side effect of another issue but its tough to say for sure without being able to look at things like VGT duty cycle and other commanded and actual values.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea you are right man. That is what I am going to do. I'll get an AE and see what happens and then I'll post back. I feel anything else is just shooting in the dark.

Thanks again though. I am just surprised no one seems to have ever heard of an operating condition as I am describing. The only other thing I have found with similar symptoms is a dirty turbo/bad VGT solenoid but my VGT duty cycle doesnt seem to stick to one extreme like I hear with dirty turbos.

It might also be time to scrap this VGT turbo and get a non-VGT one.

windrunner408

Reaction score
You know what man. I am going to pull my turbo and clean it and see what that does for me. It has been off the truck three or four times but I have never cleaned it. I just hate messing with it.

Zmann

Reaction score
turbo recondition = Thats what I would be doing

and don't hate on the VGT If I ever swap upgrade mine I am going with a VGT

Latest posts

Members online