Eh or edm nozzles?

Reaction score
There have been a few threads discussing this... Iirc, the last I read said the nozzles now are eh'd. I don't think any that we use are edm'd anymore but I hope I'm wrong. Used to be the best nozzles were edm'd then barely eh'd to clean up the holes, not so much for increasing the size of the hole. I'm going off of older information so hopefully something has changed since. A concern with eh machining was if the media were to flow through one more holes with less restriction then any others, it could cause inconsistent sizes of holes within the nozzle.

CurtisF

Reaction score
I have fuzzy memories about how there was a theory about this a while back that someone brought up, I can't remember who, and not sure if anyone ever put it to the test. But it was an idea that an EDM hole has a rougher surface than the finish of an EH hole, and that the fuel coming out of an EH hole wouldn't atomize quite as well if it was too smooth. Something to that effect. Meaning that EDM injectors would actually idle and drive cleaner than EH nozzles.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
That's was I was told at one time as well. Was curious if it is a must to stay with edm's? Or atleast something to take into consideration when buying injectors?

superpsd

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think a majority of the vendors are using Redat nozzles. My 200% nozzles are redats and work well enough for me. It amazes me how secretive builders are about there injectors. If I was to hand over thousands of my hard earned dollars I would want to know what type of nozzles are equipped and what grade of parts were used to rebuild the injectors. I am probably dead wrong and there is likely a few sources for oversized nozzles.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Redat is an Italian company. Redat North America is in Flordia. DDP does there own nozzles but they are twice the price. They EH their nozzles from what I had gathered and rate them in LPM not size over stock. I had read that if nozzles are done properly they are sometimes EDM then EH'd to clean them up.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Charles was the one with the theory that the fuel atomized better with edm due to the roughness.

Personally I prefer eh as it it more accurate.

johnp115

Reaction score
I have fuzzy memories about how there was a theory about this a while back that someone brought up, I can't remember who, and not sure if anyone ever put it to the test. But it was an idea that an EDM hole has a rougher surface than the finish of an EH hole, and that the fuel coming out of an EH hole wouldn't atomize quite as well if it was too smooth. Something to that effect. Meaning that EDM injectors would actually idle and drive cleaner than EH nozzles.

Yes an EDM made part with no other finishing processes will have a rougher surface finish than an extrude honed part generally. The material removal process in EDM is caused by spark erosion and it creates little cavities which give the "rough" finish

CurtisF

Reaction score
Yes an EDM made part with no other finishing processes will have a rougher surface finish than an extrude honed part generally. The material removal process in EDM is caused by spark erosion and it creates little cavities which give the "rough" finish

That part I knew, but it's good explain the differences for those who don't.

In terms of fuel atomization how does that play out? Does the theory have any merit behind it?

johnp115

Reaction score
That part I knew, but it's good explain the differences for those who don't.

In terms of fuel atomization how does that play out? Does the theory have any merit behind it?

i haven't taken fluid dynamics yet, but in my mind i could see that maybe the rough surface/cavities disturbs the flow and creates a little more restriction at the nozzle, which in turn could help raise the pressure of the fuel right there in the nozzle and when its sprayed. but thats just me thinking.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I was told the rougher surfaces helps break up the fuel and is injected in more of a mist then say a stream. Making for better atomization? That's why I started this post was to find out what everyone's experience was with this

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea the edges of the orifice are what break up the "stream" of fuel. Stock, 30, 80, 200, and 400 are edm nozzles. 100 and 300 are eh.

04stroker

Reaction score
Ok so is this true for all nozzles and all different injector builders?

For most yes. But any injector builder can get you about any nozzle you want. But it would most likely be considered "custom" if you wanted a one off size and more exspensive. We can get any size nozzle done for the most part without about any method you want. It would just cost more.

Latest posts

Members online