Electric fans

mgeistman

Reaction score
My fan is grounding out when it engages and popping my PCM fuse,so I'm looking into electric fans, I know they won't move air like the oem will but mine hardly comes on. I was wondering if you could use the oem clutch signel wires to power the fans on for a/c, trans temp, coolant temp. Instead of using the temp probes they give you. Thanks ahead!!

Extended Power

Reaction score
I run the dual 15" Flex-a-lite setup with the controller that came with it.
Since they don't move the same amount of air, I have them on all the time, except...I have a switch to manually shut them off for faster warm ups.

If you were going to use the stock trigger switch...you would still need to run some 30-40 amp fuses and relays.

mgeistman

Reaction score
Yea I figured i would just use it to power the fan relays. Does anyone Know what wires are what on the fan plug? Also I was thinking about using four fans. Two pushers and two pullers. Any ideas?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Been running the flex-a-lite fans for a couple years with no issues what so ever. I have my controller setup exactly like Ivan does. Only thing different is that i didn't hook up any manual switch. Mine start coming on at around 170ish i think.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Mine work great too. I just hooked it up just like the instructions with the controller and the temp probe seems to work pretty good. You hook a wire to the ac compressor switch so the fans come on when the ac is on.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Mine work great too. I just hooked it up just like the instructions with the controller and the temp probe seems to work pretty good. You hook a wire to the ac compressor switch so the fans come on when the ac is on.

Matt, the one thing i didn't do was hook up that wire to the compressor switch for the A/C. I'm assuming you did? Did you tap into the wire for the switch down by the compressor? Lubeowner said that you don't wanna hook it to the switch so i never did. I remember Shawn and Tyler saying they never did either. Just wondering what wire you used. I remember an old thread i started over on TDG and was told that the wire for pin# 3 on the switch down by the compressor is the one to tap into. Just curious what you did.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Matt, the one thing i didn't do was hook up that wire to the compressor switch for the A/C. I'm assuming you did? Did you tap into the wire for the switch down by the compressor? Lubeowner said that you don't wanna hook it to the switch so i never did. I remember Shawn and Tyler saying they never did either. Just wondering what wire you used. I remember an old thread i started over on TDG and was told that the wire for pin# 3 on the switch down by the compressor is the one to tap into. Just curious what you did.

My truck doesnt have AC so I didnt hook it up. I just ran it to a switch so I could manually turn it on and off.

strokin6L

Reaction score
My truck doesnt have AC so I didnt hook it up. I just ran it to a switch so I could manually turn it on and off.

Gotcha yeah i still don't think i'm gonna bother hooking that wire up. Been nearly two years without it and still going strong. I notice that my ECT runs a few degrees cooler with the electric fans over the factory fan.

mgeistman

Reaction score

This is why I'm wanting to use the oem fan trigger switch. What about y'alls transmission?? My trans kicks my fan on more than the coolant temps do. Using the oem fan wires to signel the relays to turn the fans on same as factory seems like it would be a easy way to make sure it kicks on for all three perameters, ain't got a clue which wire sends the signel from what component though and the bible doesn't have a schematic for the fan wires.

strokin6L

Reaction score
never once when i was running my factory fan did i hear it kick on. My trans never kicked my fan on. My trans temp never goes over 145

mgeistman

Reaction score
What about a pusher and a puller working together? Would that double cfm flow? Doesn't seem like it would?

Extended Power

Reaction score
Pushing the same amount of air as the amount that is being pulled...does nothing but take some load off the "Puller" fans.

Maybe "Stacking" two sets of "Pusher" fans will COMPOUND the air....:lookaround: :D

mgeistman

Reaction score
I was just going to use two of the flex a lite universal 16" S-blade fan. It wouldn't have a shroud though, is that a big issue when using electric fans?

java

Reaction score
not specificly, but we're running the flex-a-lite 7.3 powerstroke diesel kit. I believe these fans are rate around 6500cfm's i think

Ok thanks, does it need any modifications to make it fit a 6.0?

strokin6L

Reaction score
only one real modification. If ours is an auto...you gotta modify the inline trans filter housing bracket cause when the you try to set the fans down...the shrouding his the lines and wants to pinch them off. just gotta modify the bracket and angle it so that they'll fit all the way down without pinching the line off. other than that...you can use the brackets that come with it to make new brackets to mount it to the radiator. I'll get pics up of mine later on.

Latest posts

Members online