Electric Fuel Install Woes

jschildm

Reaction score
So I am feeling like an idiot right now. I have spent way more time installing my electric fuel system than it should take. At this point I am basically stuck on how to get the 90 degree fitting onto the rear driver's side port. I got the old one off by cutting some of it off to get it to turn. I have gotten this far without removing the turbo. I have the 4 flange bolts/nuts off and feel like the up pipe should pry back enough to give me some room, but it won't move enough. I have tried to loosen the lower bolts on the up pipe but they are fairly stuck. I am looking for some advice on getting enough room. If I get the lower up pipe bolts loose/off/broken, do you think that would allow it to move enough to free up some space? Would removing the turbo do any good, since its unbolted from it anyways? Sorry for the long post, but I am feeling worthless right now after spending so much time on this.

Thanks fellas.

Clouse2411

Reaction score
You can remove the turbo and collector should puch back enough to spin it. When I did mine. I just pried on it enough to get it to break and put an easy out in it and it came right out. I didnt remove or even unbolt any of the turbo for my swap.

jschildm

Reaction score
I think taking the turbo out is going to be required. It seems like right now the bolts on the bottom won't let it push straight backwards. I tried loosening the lower up pipe bolts this evening. Broke one, and the other one spun and I couldn't keep the wrench on it enough to hold it. I think I am going to try and pull the turbo and hope it will push back. If its still not enough, I am going to sell the truck ... :cursing: Thanks for the help. Just pisses me off that I have wasted hours on turning a fitting 4 revolutions. :pointlaugh:

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Go with a -4AN or -6AN x 1/8" NPT straight fitting. Then use the correct 90* fitting with a swivel on one end. That will make your life easier.

jschildm

Reaction score
Well ... I took off the turbo, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Gave it hell and still couldn't get it to move enough. Ended up "loosening" the lower up pipe bolts on the driver side, which translates to they broke off. A "little" persuasion with a pry bar and I got it in there. Glad that's done, haha. Now to finish the rest of the install.

jschildm

Reaction score
Truck runs again, that was a good sound. Last thing to do is hook up my pump signal wire. I was curious what the three wires on the ipr harness are. I believe one is fuel heater, one is water in fuel sensor, but i don't know the third or what wire color is what. I was thinking I might use the fuel heater wire as my signal (key on). Can anyone help with what the three wires are? Also, do any of them need hooked back up to something?

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I'd recommend NOT using the fuel heater wire as the key on wire for your relay. That wire is also tied into fuse 23 under the hood which is your IDM fuse.

I used the side of the glow plug relay that was the key on side. Just make sure you don't get the side that the PCM grounds when it activates the glow plugs.

Tom S

Reaction score
The three wires on the IPR are 5v ref, ground, and the return signal. Do not jack with any of those wires. I think the heater is red with a light green tracer. I would trace that back or test it to be sure.

Tom S

Reaction score
I'd recommend NOT using the fuel heater wire as the key on wire for your relay. That wire is also tied into fuse 23 under the hood which is your IDM fuse.

I used the side of the glow plug relay that was the key on side. Just make sure you don't get the side that the PCM grounds when it activates the glow plugs.

What is the trigger wire for the relay going to bother on that circuit?

jschildm

Reaction score
Should have been more clear ... The three wires that used to go to the fuel bowl, not the ipr wires themselves. The gp relay isn't a bad idea.

Tom S

Reaction score
Should have been more clear ... The three wires that used to go to the fuel bowl, not the ipr wires themselves. The gp relay isn't a bad idea.

Just remember the GRP is switched on the ground side.

jschildm

Reaction score
So what were the other three electrical connections on the fuel bowl harness? I believe they are fuel bowl heater, water in fuel sensor, and fuel restriction sensor? Not a big deal, I am just curious what they were.

Latest posts

Members online