Electrical gremlin in pull truck

ibestroken

Reaction score
2002 auto f250 with 7.3

Ok... Let's start from the first occurrence. 3 or so weeks ago at a pull is when this original occurred and I've made no lead way at fixing the issue. Truck made a normal hook to the sled with no issues during my run or on my data log. On the way back to the pits it started running really ruff and finally died. Throwed a cps p0344 code. Cleared the codes and started it back. I made it 100ft before same thing happened. No start after that and I pushed it to the trailer. Pulled codes and had the same one so I changed the cps with a brand new one from international at the track as well as the idm because it had a code for it as well. No start after changing either of those.

So I get the truck loaded and back home to start diagnosing the issue. Here is a list of the things I've tried to so y'all where to start to try and help me and not suggest something I've already done and tried.

-tried 3 different cps (one from ford and 2 from international)
-an idm(I know is good because that's the one that use to be in the truck and I use to test other trucks)
-have fuel pressure at all times,have plenty of oil pressure,and idm sees and will buzz injectors
-tried icp(for the heck of it)
-ipr(for the heck of it)
-removed engine harness and ohmed all wires out and made sure they were all good and not cut wires at all
-cam gear is good
-all fuses good
-tried good pcm out of a different 2002 auto just to see if it would start the truck
-pulled chip as well

Ok I believe that's everything I've tried. Now hopefully someone has seen this issue and can give me some insight on where to look next.

Can get truck to fire eventually but after a few minutes it will do the same thing and nothing after that.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
First thing that comes to mind is lincolnlocker and the problem he had. There's quite the thread on it and iirc he had bad cam walk.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
slow, fast, or normal crank? whats voltage doing while crsnking? have someone hold a meter on the battery while cranking..

live life full throttle

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I'll be interested in what you find. Mine wouldn't start the other day, and I had a cps code but I tried to start it one more time before changing it and it fired up. Only thing I can attribute mine to so far is my alternator is going out and dropping voltage every once in a while- of course it checked out fine at the parts house when I tried to get another one under warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Try pulling out the IDM and PCM relays. Clean the sockets with contact cleaner, flush it real good and let it evaporate. Replace the relays with new ones. You could have mild corrosion built up on the contacts, and/or on the internal points of the relays.

golfer

Reaction score
all you need to start is (while cranking)

engine RPM (verified with scan tool NOT dash gauge)...

run/listen to inj buzz test..if all 8 injs buzz then 99.9% of the time the IDM is fine, regardless of IDM-related codes.

Min ICP to fire injs (depending on nozzle VOP) is typ @ 450-550psi.

if you have ICP pressure (mechanical gauge if scan tool/ICP sensor is suspect) annnnd the injs buzz...annnnnd you have an rpm reading ON THE SCAN tool...the thing should fire.

didn't read the entire thread...but that's just about it..barring some magical loss of compression, or jacked up fuel quality that just won't burn...

ibestroken

Reaction score
I have all of that golfer. It will start on occasion but will die shortly after and throw the same 0344 code. I'm thinking there may be a ground issue somewhere dealing with the cam sensor

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have all of that golfer. It will start on occasion but will die shortly after and throw the same 0344 code. I'm thinking there may be a ground issue somewhere dealing with the cam sensor
how many cps's have you tried? have you actually put a caliper or depth gauge on the cam gear to see just how far it is moving? i didn't think mine was moving much.. turns out it was moving twice the maximum amout allowed... and i think that is .08 of an inch..

live life full throttle

ibestroken

Reaction score
when it does not start...you have all of that??????????

Yes.

and to Lincolnlocker... yes ive tried 3 cps. All 3 different styles brand new that I know are good. No I have not measured any movement with calipers. I removed my gen3 and inspected the gear that way. What are u measuring...run out of the gear through the cps hole?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes.

and to Lincolnlocker... yes ive tried 3 cps. All 3 different styles brand new that I know are good. No I have not measured any movement with calipers. I removed my gen3 and inspected the gear that way. What are u measuring...run out of the gear through the cps hole?
yes exactly that. bar motor over a couple revolutions, measure, bar motor over other way and measure...

live life full throttle

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Ohm the cps out from the pcm connector and check it's signal with a scope. Also when it wont start something has to be missing.

Latest posts

Members online