Electrical Issue I could REALLY use some help with: New PCM and Truck Not Starting

Freerider15

Reaction score
Alright, so this is becoming a short nightmare for me.

Truck is a '99.5, 7.3L, Manual.

My truck had presented problems (non-responsive gas pedal, randomly dying, not really responding at all to my PHP Hydra). The truck has always had a bit of a cold start issue if not plugged in, and sometimes still cranking for a while when its 80* outside, when it should fire right up.

I replaced the glow plugs with Motorcraft ZD-11s about 6 months ago, and recently the GPR with the heavy duty Stancor one.

Well, recently the WTS light stopped coming on, and the truck wouldn't start. Check all the fuses that have been mentioned (all were good), unplugged the fuel bowl heater...still nothing.

So, I concluded my PCM was fried, and that those earlier issues could be attributed to that.

Well I started traveling for work to Georgia, so I get next to no time to really look at it. I order up a reman'd PCM from Oreilly's (Cardone) and took it, the Hydra, and my old PCM with me to Georgia since PHP was about an hour North. I went up there and had them flash my new PCM, clean it, and verify the PHP Hydra and everything was working properly.

Fast forward to today: I install the new PCM (batteries unplugged, no key in the ingnition, etc.) and...still not right

Now, the WTS light and the Water in Fuel light just click on and off, and the wipers, though turned off, are on. I unplugged the fuel bowl heater again just in case, still same thing.

W...T...F.

I'm not even sure where to go from here. Anyone have any advice? I've never taken a vehicle to a shop, but this truck is taking me to the brink of just having it towed to a shop and having them figure out WTF is wrong with my truck.

Baker42

Reaction score
Did you check the 30A fuse that controls the PCM? Is smoke comming out of the tailpipe while cranking? What is fuel pressure? The WTS light is tuner related, I believe.

Freerider15

Reaction score
Truck wouldn't even crank.

I think this may be a LOT simpler than I thought.:slap:

I think my nice, expensive, pretty well new Diehard Platinum batteries are lumps of crap. They've died once on me, and I'm pretty sure they did...again. Everything else seemed normal, just tried jumping it for the hell of it and looks like that could be the issue (though not 100% on the wipers)...

Freerider15

Reaction score
Fuggin A'...it was the batteries (well at least that part).

So much for less than year old Sears Diehard Platinums...will NEVER buy those again.:slap:

Now to figure out why the truck still isn't starting.

Jomax

Reaction score
Are you sure your alternator is working 100%? Those are really good batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with not being able to start the truck with a replacement PCM. I put the original PCM in and the truck started fine. Replacement PCM, I got it to start once, and it ran horrible. The rest of the time, it wouldn't start at all. The replacement PCM was supposed to have the correct calibration for my truck, and it came from a Ford dealer, ordered based on my VIN. Still no worky. I wanted it as a backup, but never got it to work.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with not being able to start the truck with a replacement PCM. I put the original PCM in and the truck started fine. Replacement PCM, I got it to start once, and it ran horrible. The rest of the time, it wouldn't start at all. The replacement PCM was supposed to have the correct calibration for my truck, and it came from a Ford dealer, ordered based on my VIN. Still no worky. I wanted it as a backup, but never got it to work.

Did the DPC # on your replacement match your original? I so, it should have worked fine. It may have just been a faulty reman if all else was well.

Rob

Reaction score
Did the DPC # on your replacement match your original? I so, it should have worked fine. It may have just been a faulty reman if all else was well.

Yes, it matched. (DPC-422). I ordered it from Ford, based on my VIN. It was remanned. I wish they still made them new. That would be a good business I bet...

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Yes, it matched. (DPC-422). I ordered it from Ford, based on my VIN. It was remanned. I wish they still made them new. That would be a good business I bet...

Yes, but some components used on some of the boards have been discontinued (as far as I have heard). I am no electronic engineer, so I would have no interest or qualification to design a new PCM LOL.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.