Eliminating stripper pole

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Since we are on the tailgate subject and theft.... what's the concensus on tailgate cable security??? To prevent the 5 second tailgate removal from taking place.

sootie

Reaction score
hose clamp around the hinge with the slot in it. Pointed upwards so the only way to access it is from the top, with a long screwdriver and the gate partly open. Oh and always lock your tailgate.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
hose clamp around the hinge with the slot in it. Pointed upwards so the only way to access it is from the top, with a long screwdriver and the gate partly open. Oh and always lock your tailgate.

I do lock it always. Only line of defense I have. But I've read of way too many LOCKED gates being stolen in the deep south.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I had to order one of those tailgates for a customer last week. He drives a 2016 F 350 platinum. Someone stole his tailgate so he made an insurance claim. A used one through LKQ was 4 grand! And that's before we painted it. I think the final bill was 5,300 for a damn tailgate. And yea they sure are heavy. Me and the body guy were having the same conversation. That handle wouldn't last a month on my truck as much as I haul.
Seems crazy that the tailgate is almost 10% of the total price of the truck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
That's exactly what I said. If you had to build a truck part by part it'd cost you a million bucks!
I actually read somewhere somebody did that and the total cost was something like 2 times the msrp lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
So I stopped by my buddy's place to order the parts. I ordered the cover plate then when I went to order the plastic tailgate cover. The factory plastic cover is approximately $225 and the Ford Accessory cover is $65 with the screws. I asked him what's the difference and he has no clue.

So my friend that has a 2016 F350 XL stopped by today. When I removed the plastic cover from my friend's truck, there was no access cover plate on the tailgate. He said I can swap plastic tailgate covers as he doesn't care.

So which one should I go with.....I'm steering towards the factory one.

Ford factory one. Notice how close to the top edge the cover comes. Also, it has extra holes for the push in plugs. I didn't install all the screws.

20170101_140031_zpswxngdwzr.jpg

20170101_140151_zpssx0u42il.jpg

Ford accessory one. Less holes and doesn't sit as flush.

20170101_140451_zpsdu7ulzwl.jpg

20170101_140441_zpsgq0u3ub8.jpg

The contour is also different between the two. The factory has square pockets and the accessory one has round pocket.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score

Would you mind posting a pic? Tailgate partially open to get to the jubilee clamp is not registering...unless you mean accessing from the bottom. Anything I can envision accessing from above with the tailgate partially open, I can access with the tailgate completely open. I thought a locked tailgate was good until I read CAT's comment.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
they make actual tailgate locks that go around the spot where the worm clamp goes.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

JRLott

Reaction score
Pretty cool. Thanks, linc. I thought locking the tailgate was good until reading CAT's post. Now I'm thinking he just likes bursting my friggin bubble.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Pretty cool. Thanks, linc. I thought locking the tailgate was good until reading CAT's post. Now I'm thinking he just likes bursting my friggin bubble.

Easy to do.... your thin skinned ..... like a bubble!

JRLott

Reaction score
Gotcha. Hadn't read or heard that, and the cheap a$$ in me likes the clamp, but can't envision the placement that can only be accessed when the tailgate is partially open. Of course, it is only a hindrance to slow those intent on relieving you of your possession. The lock is the same, though probabably much better. It's also considerably more expensive.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I Googled tailgate locks and Amazon has plenty for the superduty tailgate.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you want to catch someone trying to take yours off, ise the worm clamp. If you want it not stolen, get the lock.

Ive had a regular old 99-07 style gate stolen before so if kinda like to catch them in the act. My original bed and tailgate got tacoed from an idiot operator dropping a 1500 lb rock in my bed. So i bought one through ford, had it painted, put new emblems and such on it. Went to the city to pick up something and some dillweed stole my brand new gate. So i bought a red one off a wrecked truck, sanded it down and sprayed it black. Still have it LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
Reading the reviews it seems the locks are worse then a worm drive clamp.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.