Elite 71 needs a rebuild

dozer

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for my 71 at a decent price?

This turbo is almost a year old and has 6k miles. It started throwing white smoke out the exhaust last wednesday. I parked it and pulled the turbos Saturday.

1069960_10201502474345023_941471346_n.jpg

jdgleason

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for my 71 at a decent price?

This turbo is almost a year old and has 6k miles. It started throwing white smoke out the exhaust last wednesday. I parked it and pulled the turbos Saturday.

1069960_10201502474345023_941471346_n.jpg

Have you called Elite on it? I would give them a call before you rebuild it yourself.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
I have the kits, but it should really be gone through and inspected. They dont "normally" do that. And very few that I have saw do that are not saveable.

I would contact Elite if you purchased new from them.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks-- James

blk350on20s

Reaction score
He has and as far as I know told him no warranty so yes trying to save on shipping and down time and try and do it local. He's hardly driven the truck and wants to enjoy it the rest of the summer

dozer

Reaction score
Trust me elite was the first place I called. They told me today that it would be $600 to rebuild it. Its really hard for me to drop another $600 + shipping on a turbo I spent $1300 about a year ago and only enjoyed it for 6k miles. I'm having a local diesel shop rebuild it. I'm just looking for parts. Any help finding a kit would awesome! Thank you in advance for your help!

Crack85

Reaction score
Trust me elite was the first place I called. They told me today that it would be $600 to rebuild it. Its really hard for me to drop another $600 + shipping on a turbo I spent $1300 about a year ago and only enjoyed it for 6k miles. I'm having a local diesel shop rebuild it. I'm just looking for parts. Any help finding a kit would awesome! Thank you in advance for your help!

Will they not sell u the parts to rebuild it?

dozer

Reaction score
They told me it uses the same parts as a stock turbo and to use a stock rebuild kit and the 72 uses a different kit. I found one online for $120. Unless someone has a better price.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
There's got to be a reason why they denied warranty. I doubt they just said "no" because

Best of luck. I'm sure Barder can set you up with everything you'll need. Maybe even some directions how to do it. Could save you the shop time expense to do it youraelf

TyCorr

Reaction score
Barders service is exceptionally pain free and lightning fast!! That would be my first choice!!

He did right by me.

Reaction score
I know Dozer(Jeff) and I know he doesn't beat the crap out of his stuff like most guys. Sucks that it only lasted 6k miles if that knowing how little it's been driven.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I'd love to hear the reason too.

Because Precision draws the line at one year. We can send it to them and have it rebuild for cost, that is what we offer anyone over the 1 year warranty.

The most likely cause is the thrust bearing is toast, which causes everything to move and leak oil out the back.

One thing to cover before someone else tears it down, pull the compressor cover and make sure the comp wheel has not contacted the compressor housing. If the wheel has hit, you cannot buy the wheel and it will have to be sent to Precision, so no sense paying two shops.

Also the $600 was a worst case high estimate, but its just a guess until the unit is looked over.

For anyone with a 71/72 the thrust bearing, even the new 360 thrust, is the weak link. If you let the charger bark alot, the thrust will fail faster. Teach yourself not to let the turbo bark and you will get a longer life.

Latest posts