elite diesel nozzels DIY

youngstroker

Reaction score
anybody done them, i though it would be a nice little upgrade while i'm there. what kind of gains could i see? there are 40% and 70% should make the injector a 155/40 or 155/70 i would like to do the 70% nozzles.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Never done them, but the new issue of DP has an article in it about making a stock set into 155/40's and goes through how it's done and what needs to be done to do them.

youngstroker

Reaction score
ya i read it, thats what got my gears turning. they only pick up 15hp, but they did get an extra 60ftlbs and a little better mpg, i would say 60ftlbs. for $775 is worth it. just wonder if anyone has used them and what there opinion was on them.

Cak301

Reaction score
Was the tuning adjusted for those injectors? If so that isn't much of a bump in power.

NathannialD

Reaction score
i've done a bunch of them haha, they are a good mod for the money. You get our stg 1 injectors essentially but you do the work to your own injectors.

youngstroker

Reaction score
what kind of gains could you see with the 70% nozzles with a good fuel system and enough air would 40 hp and 100ftlbs be a good ballpark number?

chappy

Reaction score
Yeh I read that article too. Got my gears turning as well. I'm happy with the power now but for the price It might be pretty nice. Already got a fuel system and more air so This is all I'm missing

chappy

Reaction score
ah ok so the fuel doesn't have a place to overflow kinda maing it use all of its capacity which is 155.

Wayne

Reaction score
Yep. The gains we've seen where supply pressure can be maintained are closer to 40 rwhp if you already have an aggressive programmer. A lot of trucks won't maintain supply pressure to these injectors on a stock lift pump. On my '04, I did these 1.5 years ago, and running the insanity tune, my supply pressure got into the low 20's, measured at the filter housing, even with 6.4 banjo bolts and updated regulator spring. I didn't dyno it, but I could feel it run stronger with it backed down a bit to where the supply was maintaining 35 minimum. That still obviously sucks, but solidifies my opinion of the necessity of maintaining supply pressure.

At this altitude (5600 ft) air supply is a big concern too. Up here, the conventional powermax works great with the stage 1's. Also, if a guy really wanted to maximize the injector potential with the larger nozzles, he could throw in an extra shim between the spool valve, and body, giving it larger displacement than the 155's. We may offer a kit with better bolts & shims too. Just some food for thought.

youngstroker

Reaction score
this is perfect for what i want, just a little more but don't want to pay $3,000+ for only a little bump. thanks for the info.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Yep. The gains we've seen where supply pressure can be maintained are closer to 40 rwhp if you already have an aggressive programmer. A lot of trucks won't maintain supply pressure to these injectors on a stock lift pump. On my '04, I did these 1.5 years ago, and running the insanity tune, my supply pressure got into the low 20's, measured at the filter housing, even with 6.4 banjo bolts and updated regulator spring. I didn't dyno it, but I could feel it run stronger with it backed down a bit to where the supply was maintaining 35 minimum. That still obviously sucks, but solidifies my opinion of the necessity of maintaining supply pressure.

At this altitude (5600 ft) air supply is a big concern too. Up here, the conventional powermax works great with the stage 1's. Also, if a guy really wanted to maximize the injector potential with the larger nozzles, he could throw in an extra shim between the spool valve, and body, giving it larger displacement than the 155's. We may offer a kit with better bolts & shims too. Just some food for thought.
Wayne, i currently have 190/75's from Casserly. I like the idea of shimming the injectors to make them bigger. How much of a shim will it take to turn a 190cc injector into a 205cc injector? Is it possible to increase the CC of my 190's by shimming or do the internals(plungers) have to be machined more? I have a spare set of stock injectors....can i just take the shims out between the spool valve and body and install them into my 190's? Will adding another stock shim be enough or will it have to be thicker? Also, will it be better to just have one thicker shim instead of two of them? Is adding shims or just haveing one thicker shim between the spool valve and injector body reliable or good for longjevity of the injector?

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Wayne, i currently have 190/75's from Casserly. I like the idea of shimming the injectors to make them bigger. How much of a shim will it take to turn a 190cc injector into a 205cc injector? Is it possible to increase the CC of my 190's by shimming or do the internals(plungers) have to be machined more? I have a spare set of stock injectors....can i just take the shims out between the spool valve and body and install them into my 190's? Will adding another stock shim be enough or will it have to be thicker? Also, will it be better to just have one thicker shim instead of two of them? Is adding shims or just haveing one thicker shim between the spool valve and injector body reliable or good for longjevity of the injector?

stacking shims isnt a good idea.

Wayne

Reaction score
I know a handful of companies install larger shims in (like 3X the thickness of factory), but go very much, and the machine screws holding the spool valves on will not have enough thread. You could also raise it to where the O-ring won't properly seal, and you're hosed. FWIW, every time we do injectors, we discard the factory machine screws, and use longer, stronger ones. I haven't measured the displacement change by adding a shim, but if a guy who regularly builds injectors wants to chime in, that's fine by me. On all the injectors we sell that are larger than 155's, we add displacement with machining. We never stack, or use thicker shims.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne...appreciate the info! Just thought it'd be easy for me just to make them larger myself by shimming without any machining.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
my RCD 180s have a .056 shim. stock shim is .025. the o-rings blew out with that .056 shim. when i had them in with my stock fuel system i had the updated spring and the spring shimmed and it would hold 48psi @ wot running erics xtreme tunes.

Latest posts

Members online