Engine cranking slow

racerdad2

Reaction score
Even on a 'warm' day, 30's, she's been cranking slow, even with block heater & magnetic oil pan heater. Installed two new batteries. Still barely cranks fast enough to fire. Batteries are rated @ 875 cca @ 0°. Starter going bad or just cheap Fleet Farm crapy ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Did it crank slow before with the old battery's? Since you changed them I am guessing so. The starter sounds like it is week to me. Time to change it. You would be amazed at what a good starter can do to help start a pickup.

racerdad2

Reaction score
Thx David. The batteries were 4 years old. The starter many more... I just went with the ez try to 'fix' on batteries. New starter then. The good news... I've got two spare batteries for the car hauler :)

racerdad2

Reaction score
I'll check the cables. They're pushing 20 yrs in service. Thx

89 Stroker

Reaction score
i just changed the starter on mine and boy does it spin now , drove me nuts , batteries checked good and everything......funny i have a optima battery that's almost 8 years old along with a duralast gold that's still going strong , as said you will be amazed when you put a new one on

JCart

Reaction score
I'd recommend a Super Duty gear reduction starter. Only two bolts and you may have to change the small wire end at the starter as the SD ones iirc are a post/ring connector not a blade connector. Gear reduction spins WAY faster than the stock one and it usually less expensive I think.

jrc

racerdad2

Reaction score
Thx Jcart. I'll see what I can find. Waiting for a little warmer weather. Thankfully, I have back-up cars to drive :)

racerdad2

Reaction score
Installed new (not rebuilt) starter today. She's like a new truck :) We'll see how well she does in the morning at 15 below. ...

Bair

Reaction score
Just another note. I had my old starter rebuilt by a rebuild shop and wow I couldn't believe how fast it spun. Started it seemed like instantly. Well, my engine threw a rod through the block and hit the starter and broke it. Duh! So the new engine with a new starter. Crazy thing cranked slow from day one. Now finally 2 years later its off getting the new starter rebuilt. I don't know what that shop does to them but whatever it is make a huge difference.

96 CCLB
08 RCLB 2wd 6sp for sale
08 ECLB 2wd sold

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.