Engine no-start 1294 code

dtrojcak

Reaction score
The last time I drove my 2002 7.3l, it ran a little rough.
I dismissed as being due to cold temperature, it was in the 30s here that day, which is cold for south central Texas.

Later that afternoon, it barely started and would idle very rough and I needed to keep pressing the pedal in order to keep it running.
I shut it off and checked under the hood to find that half of my serpentine belt had shredded off. There were strips of rubber all over the engine.
The belt had apparently caught the dipstick handle and sheered it off at the top of the tube.
I replaced the belt and now the truck will not start at all.
It sounds like it wants to, but can't quite fire up all the way.
I hooked up my AE scanner and ran a couple of different test, including the injector buzz test.
The even numbered injectors buzz noticeably quieter than the odd numbered ones.
The 1294 code shows up in every test I'm able to run with the engine off, including the buzz test.
From what I've researched so far, the 1294 code is usually due to the driver's side UVCH, either chaffed and/or unplugged.

Now that you know the history, my question is, could the belt have damaged/unplugged something when it was slinging around?
Or is it just a coincidence that both of these things happened at the same time?
The truck ran fine before any of this happened?

dtrojcak

Reaction score
Update:
I removed the driver's side valve cover, checked all connections, disconnected and reconnected the 9 pin connector.
I then put the valve cover back on with just a couple of screws and tried to start engine.
Engine fired right up like normal and ran smooth.
I then ran various tests with the AE scanner and the P1294 code will intermittently reappear.
I ran the injector buzz test several times, about half will run successful with no codes and the other half will throw the P1294 code.
I debating whether or not to put everything back together since the truck now starts and runs or just replacing the driver's side harness while everything is still somewhat taken apart.
If I can find the harness in stock at my local International parts house or my local Ford dealer, I'll replace it.

Is there any other thing(s) I should be looking for at this point?

Arisley

Reaction score
I would replace the UVCH. I would also inspect the harness really good, check for damage.

I would also double check all the pulleys make sure a bad pulley didn't destroy the belt.

dtrojcak

Reaction score
I would replace the UVCH. I would also inspect the harness really good, check for damage.

I would also double check all the pulleys make sure a bad pulley didn't destroy the belt.
Sorry for the delay in my reply.

I was able to get a harness at the local International shop, so I went ahead and replaced it since I had the cover off already.
The old one looked fine.
I think the belt must've moved the connector a little while it was coming apart and slapping around everywhere.
But I'd rather unnecessarily replace a $40 harness rather than open up the valve cover again.
It still throws the 1294 code, but only about once every 10-15 tests.
I haven't ran any tests since right after I replaced the harness though, maybe the code will not show up now that the truck has been run for a while.

As far as the belt, I think it was just its time.
It was starting to crack and I was going to replace it at the next oil change in about 3000 miles.
It just didn't make it that long.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Members online